POE splitter for $10 shipped from Jack

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
I wanted to get couple extra POE splitters and requested Jack to list them separately. It's actually cheaper then non water proof one from Amazon. Grab them before they ran out of quantity of 9999:

http://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/z0ScgXQ

FAQ:

What the heck is this?
It's a splitter for an IP camera, it's will make your Huisun/Imporx/No name ptz camera POE powered. It will most likely work with any other camera as well. It's just a generic splitter.

Why do I need a splitter if my Huisun/Imporx cam already has built-in POE?
Early units do have built-in POE which was nice feature, but if you didn't follow other threads, built-in POE in those cams is unreliable and not only it can fail, it can also overheat and destroy your camera by melting on the inside... Alright, only kidding about the melting part, but there were number of reports where cameras died during high ambient temperatures. Symptoms start when your camera could be rebooting constantly or other picture weirdness happening.

Do I need to hook it up to 12V?

No! Just hook up one end to your camera DC connector and ethernet and the other end to your POE source (NVR, switch, injector etc...)

Is it waterproof?
Yes, it comes with special connectors, but I would personally seal those with coax-seal tape as well.

Last edited by a moderator:

riceandbeans

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks klasipca - I've had good luck using a poe board module which I believe is a switching regulator instead of a bucking regulator like most inline units. The advantage of this is that it doesn't reject the difference in voltage to heat, which can be significant depending on your total current draw (especially with IR). Cost me about 7 or 8 bucks. Not waterproof; you'll need to install it into your cam housing if you have space or place it into a j-box or nema enclosure. If anybody's interested I can see if I can post up a how to.

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
Are you using it with Huisun cam? Do you have a link to it?

chewie

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks klasipca - I've had good luck using a poe board module which I believe is a switching regulator instead of a bucking regulator like most inline units. The advantage of this is that it doesn't reject the difference in voltage to heat, which can be significant depending on your total current draw (especially with IR). Cost me about 7 or 8 bucks. Not waterproof; you'll need to install it into your cam housing if you have space or place it into a j-box or nema enclosure. If anybody's interested I can see if I can post up a how to.
Hello Riceandbeans
I would be interested on these poe board module, if you can post how to hook it up and the name and where to buy them I would Appreciate that.
Thanks in advance.
Regards.
Chewie

riceandbeans

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Here's the one I've got, which will do 12V @ 1A. I'm assuming it's a switching regulator since there are no (visible) heatsink components or linear voltage regulators like you have on the bucking regulators you'll find on amazon. Unit doesn't get hot anywhere on the board during operation like a bucking reg would. Case closed?

Here's another one that should also do the job but is a bit cheaper; looks like it's 850mA.

There's no reason I know of why you couldn't use it on a Huisun aside from (possibly) excessive current demands from PTZ operation - it passes the communication pairs onto the camera, and takes the 48VDC from the PoE and transforms it down to 12VDC. No additional signal transformation is performed to my knowledge (however the comm pairs need to land on the PoE board during low-voltage initialization). You'd take the comm pairs and send them to the camera, and take the 12VDC and put that into a 2.1mm barrel plug (or go direct to the huisun board if you wanted; IPC boards seem to be standardized across manufacturers in pin/socket connectors and spacing, but not order). If there's space in the cam, you could mount the board internally and have a very clean installation with no external modules; re-pinning the incoming ethernet into the PoE board. But if the v2 is like my v1; they have non-standard (non 38mm boards) and it's probably too tight to cram in there neatly.

I'm using them on some OV9712 and IMX185 cams I put together; running the cam, IR (~2W, nothing big), and PTZ.

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
no, it should be still inside the cam, unless they removed the board when it was in the repair.

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
FAQ:

What the heck is this?
It's a splitter for an IP camera, it's will make your Huisun/Imporx/No name ptz camera POE powered. It will most likely work with any other camera as well. It's just a generic splitter.

Why do I need a splitter if my Huisun/Imporx cam already has built-in POE?
Early units do have built-in POE which was nice feature, but if you didn't follow other threads, built-in POE in those cams is unreliable and not only it can fail, it can also overheat and destroy your camera by melting on the inside... Alright, only kidding about the melting part, but there were number of reports where cameras died during high ambient temperatures. Symptoms start when your camera could be rebooting constantly or other picture weirdness happening.

Do I need to hook it up to 12V?

No! Just hook up one end to your camera DC connector and ethernet and the other end to your POE source (NVR, switch, injector etc...)

Is it waterproof?
Yes, it comes with special connectors, but I would personally seal those with coax-seal tape as well.

Reactions: Gee

chewie

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Here's the one I've got, which will do 12V @ 1A. I'm assuming it's a switching regulator since there are no (visible) heatsink components or linear voltage regulators like you have on the bucking regulators you'll find on amazon. Unit doesn't get hot anywhere on the board during operation like a bucking reg would. Case closed?

Here's another one that should also do the job but is a bit cheaper; looks like it's 850mA.

There's no reason I know of why you couldn't use it on a Huisun aside from (possibly) excessive current demands from PTZ operation - it passes the communication pairs onto the camera, and takes the 48VDC from the PoE and transforms it down to 12VDC. No additional signal transformation is performed to my knowledge (however the comm pairs need to land on the PoE board during low-voltage initialization). You'd take the comm pairs and send them to the camera, and take the 12VDC and put that into a 2.1mm barrel plug (or go direct to the huisun board if you wanted; IPC boards seem to be standardized across manufacturers in pin/socket connectors and spacing, but not order). If there's space in the cam, you could mount the board internally and have a very clean installation with no external modules; re-pinning the incoming ethernet into the PoE board. But if the v2 is like my v1; they have non-standard (non 38mm boards) and it's probably too tight to cram in there neatly.

I'm using them on some OV9712 and IMX185 cams I put together; running the cam, IR (~2W, nothing big), and PTZ.
Thanks for the info riceandbeans.

riceandbeans

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yeah guys, that poe board in that huisun teardown pic above (as well as most any poe board) should work as a replacement in that huisun. I didn't know they used what appeares to be a standard 38mm board. If I were you I'd try to replace the board- much cleaner and proper fix to this issue in my opinion. I don't have a v2 but if somebody wants to try it I can share my experiences with wiring it up.

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
No one knows really. Could be bad batch or design flaw or just cheap electronics... we do know number of units died that used internal poe and during hot weather, we also know that one particular and well known seller ships latest cams with external poe splitter. Some still use internal poe but personally as a precaution i added splitters for all mine. Despite that I love these cams and I will be getting more of them when v3 comes out.

Reactions: Gee