POE Switch and Lorex NVR

RLD

n3wb
Reaction score
Hey Folks

I recently installed a Lorex NVR with 8 POE cameras. Two of the cameras are installed on a detached building that has a cat 6 cable already running to it. I installed a 6 port POE switch at the remote end of the cat 6 cable. 4 download ports and 2 upload ports. At the remote end of the cable I have a second router and the 2 remote cameras plugged into the switch. The other end of the cable is plugged into my ( Main ) router inside the house. According to the Lorex install manual this configuration should work. However the cameras on the detached building do not show up on the NVR. All other cameras appear as they should. The switch has 3 modes. Default ( all ports communicate freely ) and 2 other modes that I cant recall. I have tried all 3 modes and none seem to work. I am sure that I am overlooking an easy fix but cant seem to get it right. I know the cameras are getting power as the LED lights come on when its dark as they should. Can anyone help me out here ? Thanks in advance.

RLD

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hey Folks

I recently installed a Lorex NVR with 8 POE cameras. Two of the cameras are installed on a detached building that has a cat 6 cable already running to it. I installed a 6 port POE switch at the remote end of the cat 6 cable. 4 download ports and 2 upload ports. At the remote end of the cable I have a second router and the 2 remote cameras plugged into the switch. The other end of the cable is plugged into my ( Main ) router inside the house. According to the Lorex install manual this configuration should work. However the cameras on the detached building do not show up on the NVR. All other cameras appear as they should. The switch has 3 modes. Default ( all ports communicate freely ) and 2 other modes that I cant recall. I have tried all 3 modes and none seem to work. I am sure that I am overlooking an easy fix but cant seem to get it right. I know the cameras are getting power as the LED lights come on when its dark as they should. Can anyone help me out here ? Thanks in advance.

RLD
Welcome @RLD

A few notes:
1) NVRs are rated per number of Channels. This is typically the max number of cameras you can attach to the NVR. ( some cameras, like those with multiple lenses count as more than 1 channel .. thus why I worded it this way )
2) NVRs can have cameras configured to the NVR from the LAN side. You want to do this with cameras which attach to a PoE switch ( that is not attaching to the NVRs PoE ports )
for Dahua you need to do a "manual add" for the cameras. You will need to know the IP addresses .. I recommend using either static IP addresses or DHCP reveserved IP assignments based on mac address. The IP addresses must be reachable from the NVRs LAN ..

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
^+1

You need to connect the POE switch to the WAN/LAN port of the NVR, not the POE ports.

RLD

n3wb
Reaction score
^+1

You need to connect the POE switch to the WAN/LAN port of the NVR, not the POE ports.
The switch
Welcome @RLD

A few notes:
1) NVRs are rated per number of Channels. This is typically the max number of cameras you can attach to the NVR. ( some cameras, like those with multiple lenses count as more than 1 channel .. thus why I worded it this way )
2) NVRs can have cameras configured to the NVR from the LAN side. You want to do this with cameras which attach to a PoE switch ( that is not attaching to the NVRs PoE ports )
for Dahua you need to do a "manual add" for the cameras. You will need to know the IP addresses .. I recommend using either static IP addresses or DHCP reveserved IP assignments based on mac address. The IP addresses must be reachable from the NVRs LAN ..
Thank you for your help. I did discover the problem. I get my internet from T Mobil. The problem was the NVR was connected to the T Mobil router/hot spot. I disabled DHCP, set the gateway to a different router, did an auto search for cameras from the Lorex menu and the remote cameras appeared.

Thanks again

RLD

n3wb
Reaction score
^+1

Thank you for your help. I did discover the problem. I get my internet from T Mobil. The problem was the NVR was connected to the T Mobil router/hot spot. I disabled DHCP, set the gateway to a different router, did an auto search for cameras from the Lorex menu and the remote cameras appeared.

Thanks again