POE switch and POE injectors. Questions.

car_wash_guy

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Question about injectors and a switch. Coming up on installing my PTZ's and had some questions.

It was suggested that "I run them (injectors) instead of going directly to the switch".

1. I would assume that the injectors are placed between the POE switch and the PTZ(in this case) camera?
2. Is there a best location for the injectors? PTZ's are ~100' away from the switch. Does it matter if I install them at the switch location instead of closer to the PTZ's ( in attic - worried about equipment failures due to excessive heat).

Thanks

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Question about injectors and a switch. Coming up on installing my PTZ's and had some questions.

It was suggested that "I run them (injectors) instead of going directly to the switch".

1. I would assume that the injectors are placed between the POE switch and the PTZ(in this case) camera?
2. Is there a best location for the injectors? PTZ's are ~100' away from the switch. Does it matter if I install them at the switch location instead of closer to the PTZ's ( in attic - worried about equipment failures due to excessive heat).

Thanks
Yes after the switch before the camera. The only advantage to running a midspan injector is price...its not better in any other way..You have to deal with an extra set of wiring and the midspan itself..It doesnt matter where you place it....in your case i would put it near the switch...

car_wash_guy

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Yes after the switch before the camera. The only advantage to running a midspan injector is price...its not better in any other way..You have to deal with an extra set of wiring and the midspan itself..It doesnt matter where you place it....in your case i would put it near the switch...
Thanks fenderman.

Do you think I need the injector? Here is the switch I'm running:

http://www.ltsecurityinc.com/poe-switch-poe-sw2402.html

It's 802.3at/af and 30w per port.

Thanks

littlebandit

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks fenderman.

Do you think I need the injector? Here is the switch I'm running:

http://www.ltsecurityinc.com/poe-switch-poe-sw2402.html

It's 802.3at/af and 30w per port.

Thanks
It depends on the PTZ you are using. Most of the smaller PTZ cameras use less than 15 watts but the bigger PTZ Hikvisions for example use alot more, especially when the IR's are in use. In which case you would have no option only to use an injector.

What PTZ are you installing ?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
It depends on the PTZ you are using. Most of the smaller PTZ cameras use less than 15 watts but the bigger PTZ Hikvisions for example use alot more, especially when the IR's are in use. In which case you would have no option only to use an injector.

What PTZ are you installing ?
That poe switch supports poe+ 30w...

car_wash_guy

Young grasshopper
Reaction score