POE switch connection to NVR

PhatsMV

n3wb
Reaction score
Hey all,

hoping my question can be answered as I can’t find any clear answers.

I am helping to fit cameras for my mothers neighbour, the router they have installed has only got 2 cat5 outputs, one is being used for a media player and the other I was hoping to use for the NVR. Simple so far.

My plan is, rather than trace 4 cat5 cables down a 20mm conduit, which has already got 2x satellite coax cables in it so space is tight.

I want to put a put a POE at the other other end of the conduit and power the camera from it. Can/will I be able to connect the network switch to the POE “out” on the NVR.

The picture may help.
B530B3A1-D4E0-4C9C-9F9C-A6FB3DABF1BA.jpeg
Will the Power for the POE out damage the switch!
Can I turn off the POE out on the NVR off?
The nvr is an Annke N48PAW
Thanks

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
Yes, you can do that.

The standard for PoE doesn't allow for just pushing power down the cable regardless of whether the end device can handle it or not. There are checks and balances to make sure the device at the end is actually PoE capable and of the right PoE class before power is sent to the device. If there is not a PoE device attached, then the port acts just like a regular non-PoE switch port.

genelit

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Of course you can do like you propose and it seem to make more sense for your wiring.

I, personally, prefer to do like this to enable easier access to the cameras, so you don't need to access them via the NVR (see red marking).

If you haven't already purshased the switch , this little mini switch (PFT1300 link below) can be used in your setup , it would then replace the switch and it powers from the NVR (check available power budget per port on NVR first!).
I have it myself and is super convenient as I had a place I simply wanted to have another camera without running a new cable.

PFT1300 | Dahua Technology

switch.jpg