Poe switch help

sLackuR

n3wb
Reaction score
I have 2 Dahua cameras and a NVR. Trying to get everything sorted and working properly before I mount them. Cameras work perfectly when connected to the NVR directly. I was planning on leaving the NVR in my office and hooking the cameras to a Poe switch (tp-link TL-SG1005P) in the garage. All connected to the same network. I am unable to locate the cameras when hooked to the switch. All lights are blinking as they should. The nvr doesn't see them when I "search devices". I am also unable to see them through my routers (ASUS RT-N66U) client list. Not sure why they arent being assigned a local ip. My ps4 is able to connect to the internet through the switch. Anyone have any ideas? I have limited knowledge as you probably can tell.

Thanks

Reaction score
So I certainly am not as knowledgeable as many here...far from it. But did you ip your cameras and DVR? I have a Dahua NVR, plugged into my managed switch (pretty much default settings). Each of my 11 POE Dahua Camera's are plugged into two unmanaged Netgear POE switchs, which are in turn plugged into my TP Switch. I have a backbone running from my router to my TP Switch. All work perfectly. Maybe I misunderstood you or something. Sorry if I did.

Please, we all start some where. Someone here will help you, TONS of knowledge here!

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I don't use an NVR but as I recall, POE NVR's have a virtual server which assigns IP's to the cams plugged in to the POE ports and on a subnet totally different from your house's LAN.

I figure you want only one cable running between the NVR and the POE switch to keep from running a cable to each of the cams. If so, try this:
  • Unplug all the cams from the POE switch.
  • Run one cable from the POE switch to a POE port on the NVR.
  • Run a cable from the NVR's LAN port to a LAN port on your router.
  • Plug one camera into the POE switch and give it time to come up on the NVR before attempting to plug in another.
  • When the 1st cam shows up, plug in the 2nd cam and wait....and so on.

sLackuR

n3wb
Reaction score
So I certainly am not as knowledgeable as many here...far from it. But did you ip your cameras and DVR? I have a Dahua NVR, plugged into my managed switch (pretty much default settings). Each of my 11 POE Dahua Camera's are plugged into two unmanaged Netgear POE switchs, which are in turn plugged into my TP Switch. I have a backbone running from my router to my TP Switch. All work perfectly. Maybe I misunderstood you or something. Sorry if I did.

Please, we all start some where. Someone here will help you, TONS of knowledge here!
Thanks for the reply. This is what I was attempting. The entire house is pre-wired all running to a 24 port managed switch (default settings) in the attic. The nvr in the office is connected to the managed switch thru the wall plate. I wanted to hook the POE switch to the ethernet outlet in the garage with the cameras. I was under the impression that as long as the cameras are on the same network the NVR would see them. I have a cheap wireless PTZ that connected to the NVR without any issues. My router doesn't assign a local ip to the cameras when it's hooked up this way and I'm confused on why.

sLackuR

n3wb
Reaction score
I don't use an NVR but as I recall, POE NVR's have a virtual server which assigns IP's to the cams plugged in to the POE ports and on a subnet totally different from your house's LAN.

I figure you want only one cable running between the NVR and the POE switch to keep from running a cable to each of the cams. If so, try this:
  • Unplug all the cams from the POE switch.
  • Run one cable from the POE switch to a POE port on the NVR.
  • Run a cable from the NVR's LAN port to a LAN port on your router.
  • Plug one camera into the POE switch and give it time to come up on the NVR before attempting to plug in another.
  • When the 1st cam shows up, plug in the 2nd cam and wait....and so on.
Thanks for the reply. This worked. I was hoping to avoid a homerun to the NVR but if this is the only way I have no choice.

Jayordon

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. This worked. I was hoping to avoid a homerun to the NVR but if this is the only way I have no choice.
I have mine working without a direct connection from my switch to my NVR. Plug your NVR into your router and plug your switch into your router. Then log into each cameras web page and assign your cameras ip addresses that are on the same range as your NVR. Log into the NVR and manually add the cameras using their newly assigned ip addresses.

sLackuR

n3wb
Reaction score
I have mine working without a direct connection from my switch to my NVR. Plug your NVR into your router and plug your switch into your router. Then log into each cameras web page and assign your cameras ip addresses that are on the same range as your NVR. Log into the NVR and manually add the cameras using their newly assigned ip addresses.
How do you log into the camera? Thanks

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
192.168.1.108 is the default IP address of the cameras from the factory. don't plug them in simultaneously. 1 at a time. surf to that Ip address. it should prompt to create the Admin password account
the camera's are set as "DHCP" rather than static IP's so that if they boot into an NVR Environment the nvr can assign them available IP addresses. usually 10.10.x.x

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Im not sure how the NVR wants the IP address coming from the switch. But if you connect the NVR and Switch to the router, they might all play nicer if they arein the Same address scheme as the router is using for it's internal IP address. for example the Asus router might be using 192.168.1.1 as it's gateway address, so change the NVR to 192.168.1.2 or 3 or 4.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Then the cams should become visible on the network at .108 change 108 to 118 and select Static and hit SAVE. do the next camera like .119
do you have a PC on the router? If you do, surf to the NVR and note its current Ip address. before things get outta hand.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
in windows you can launch the command prompt CMD.exe
and type ipconfig /all
and it well give you useful info on the gatewaysScreenshot 2022-07-11 013908.pngScreenshot 2022-07-11 014144.png IPV4 address, and the computers IPV4 address

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Plug your NVR into your router and plug your switch into your router.
It's best to not have cams pass through the router, as most router's switch portion are not cut out for the high-bandwidth requirements of IP cam video and can slow the other connections that are plugged into the switch.

Last edited: