POE Switch - I want 16 port but will two 8 ports suffice - recommended specs

saltwater

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
My house is currently under construction, and I will be running a Blue Iris set up. Haven't used CCTV systems before. I've already got my first Dahau camera on order, should arrive just after Christmas.

I'm now looking at POE Switches. I am wiring to about 14 locations, but not all locations will have cameras installed initially. Therefore, ideally, I need a 16 port POE switch. I've scanned eBay for 16 port POE switches, and they all seem to have the same specs. Here is one link to what I'm looking at, an unbranded model. Here are the specs if the link no longer works.
This switch provides a network point for power supply and data transmission. All the 16 PoE ports can be connected with 10/100Mbps quickly, and the uplink port is 1.25Gbps interface, among which 1-16 ports can provide standard IEEE 802.3af/at power supply.

Features:

• Supply power to wireless access point(AP) and network surveillance 2. camera through the CAT5 Ethernet cable
  • 16x10/100Mbps PoE ports and 2x10/100/1000Mbps auto-sensing Uplink RJ45 ports +1 Gigabit Fiber Uplink
  • 1~16 ports support standard IEEE802.3af/at power supply
  • IEEE802.3 10Base-T and IEEE802.3u 100Base-TX compliant
  • Flow control mode: full-duplex IEEE802.3x standard, half-duplex using Back Pressure standard
  • Support port auto-flip(Auto MDI/MDIX)
  • Adopt store-and-forward architecture
  • Max PoE Power: 300W (1~16 ports), Max. power per port: 30W/15.4W
  • Support wire-speed switching, wire speed can be achieved within 64~1536 frame length
Are the above specs sufficient, or is there something to be aware of, or not included?

Is it ok to daisy chain two 8 port POE switches, that is, purchase an 8 port switch now, and if and when I get a 9th camera purchase another 4 or 8 port switch?

Steve.

Last edited:

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
If the switches are going to be in one place then easy enough to link them together, just use one of the gigabit uplink ports to connect them together.

Know nothing about that switch but it does seem to have really good specs for little money?

windguy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
@saltwater - In my readings, I remember one of the gurus on this forum, SouthernYankee, prefers to have multiple 8-port POE switches rather than having everything connected to a single POE switch in case the POE fails, then the whole camera network isn't down. Makes sense using this type of architecture and it would work with your build plans, using two 8-ports rather than a single 16-port. Personal choice I guess. Good luck!

SEE POST #18