POE Switch recomdations,

Sparky19053

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
For a POE switch, the requirements are a minimum of eight ports for POE cameras. The camers will report to BI5. Need an additional twelve ports for non POE connections such as phones, printers and desktop PCs
What would you recommend for a reliable switch? Do I need a managed switch or us un-managed OK?
Much appreciate your feedback or suggestions.

Hammerhead786

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
A managed switch allows more configuration flexibility i.e. vlans and security (access lists). I use a HP Procurve 2620 managed switch which I picked up on ebay for $34. It has 12 POE+ ports and 12 regular ports along with two 1Gb uplink ports. Are you planning on using your home/business network with this same switch? If so, I'd personally recommend a managed switch for vlan isolation. Also the 2620 is a layer 3 switch, which means you can implement inter-vlan routing.

Sparky19053

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yes this is for business use and the phones are on the same switch as the security cameras will be so reliability and speed are concerns. Wow what a price spread from used on Ebay to new online. I have my concerns with used equipment from Ebay but at $40.00 with free shipping, its a consideration. Thank you for your response.