POE switch recommendations for 8 cameras?

DeeperDrip

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi all - been lurking for quite a while in the forums and decided it's time to join up. Just purchased my first 2 cameras (Dahua IPC-HDW5231R-Z) from aliexpress and, once they arrive, I have the low level voltage cable installer ready to go. He will be running 8 Cat6 cables to different points around the perimeter of my house. I also will set up a dedicated PC for Blue Iris, at least 6 more cameras (after learning from/playing with the first 2), and figuring out how to backup everything on my Synology NAS. My first question is: what POE switch would you recommend? I'd like to keep the price below $350 for a gigabit switch but maybe I can just buy a 4 port POE switch now and expand with another one later as I add more cameras? Any thoughts would be appreciated -- thank you in advance.

bryansj

n3wb
Reaction score
I got a deal on this switch from Amazon Warehouse Deals: NETGEAR ProSAFE JGS524PE 24-Port Gigabit PoE Web Managed (Plus) Switch with 12 PoE Ports 100w (JGS524PE-100NAS) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GG1ADLS/

It was Like New condition with an extra 15% off. Plus they've honored the $30 rebate. $156.95 shipped after rebate. I don't see that deal again, but they do have one that would be $200 after rebate.

I had outgrown my 16 port gigabit switch and needed more ports and PoE. This adds 12 PoE and 12 regular ports all gigabit, plus it is a smart switch and rack mounted. Still running my 16 port switch for low bandwidth devices and unused jacks around the house (I run at least two to each drop).

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

DeeperDrip

n3wb
Reaction score
That looks like an excellent choice. Thanks for the heads up! Maybe this is too much of a newbie question, but do you think there would be a problem keeping this in my attic or should it be in a climate controlled space? I live in GA so it gets hot.

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
That looks like an excellent choice. Thanks for the heads up! Maybe this is too much of a newbie question, but do you think there would be a problem keeping this in my attic or should it be in a climate controlled space? I live in GA so it gets hot.
I would not advise a POE switch be placed in an attic - especially in GA in the summer. Look to possibly put a shelf in the top of a closet somewhere. That will keep things out of the way and keep the switch about 50 - 60 degrees cooler in the summer.

bryansj

n3wb
Reaction score
I live near ATL and also would not suggest putting any equipment in the attic. In my prior home I cut a hole in the attic floor/upper level ceiling into the top of the guest room closet. I tapped into an electrical outlet in the adjoining room and put an outlet in the closet as well. The closet got sort of warm, but it was never an issue with the modem, router, and server. I built a small shelf at the top and used the existing shelf as well.

Now I have a home with a basement and a proper rack. The builder had a conduit from the basement to the attic.