POE Switch -- Solid Cat 6 - Patch Panel - Stranded Cat 6 - Camera?

ndstate

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hello,

Need a little help with cables. I need several 50-75 foot runs that will all be in the same general area. I am not too thrilled about putting plugs on my solid cat6 (have about 500ft available) so I was thinking of running solid cat 6 from the POE switch to a patch panel near the cameras then patch cables from the panel to the cameras... since they already have plugs on both ends. Thoughts on this?

Or would I be better off buying 50-75 foot solid cables with plugs already on them (although they look pretty expensive). I assume I want to avoid long stranded, especially since I am going through walls, conduit, an attic, etc.

Thanks!

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
thats perfectly fine and how most networks are setup.. though I presume you want a patch panel on both ends of your big bundle.

but manually crimping ethernet cables is no big deal if you have decent tools, running wire is always a much bigger bitch than terminating the ends.

Last edited:

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
it's probably easier to run the cables from your central patch panel directly to each camera without a second patch panel. Pre-terminated cables (rj-45 plugs already installed) can be damaged pretty easily if you try to install them in wall so you're likely to end up re-crimping them and would have been better off with a spool of bulk cable.

drew91101

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Pick up some tools on amazon, buy a spool of cat6, and watch a few youtube videos on how to terminate. I taught myself and with a little practice, you can do it with your eyes closed

ndstate

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. Yes they start from a patch panel. I will get the tools and try to terminate them myself... Simplify things. Thanks again.