PoE Switch Suggestion List

giomania

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Update: 2/21/2018: I added images of all the switches:
Update 2/15/2019: Prices & pics updated

Code:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1pwVaK4J83awpilnxOi7YTTB85OhPync8AMXoIDVnN-w/edit?usp=sharing
I created a list of PoE switches from suggestions I came across on this site and from searching Amazon. Let me know if there are any you want me to add any, or add any columns with other data. I would be interested to hear testimonials about build quality and/or durability over time in extreme environments, like attics. I found it useful to have all this data in this format, and hope others do as well.

Mark

Last edited by a moderator:

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
@giomania
Is there a PoE switch which doesn't rely on a power supply and can simply be powered off another PoE switch, provided sufficient wattage is available? Would probably serve as a great fail-safe measure if included power supply ever looses function.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
They usually appear as PoE-powered switches, but can easily exceed anyone's budget
Needs to be usually connected from a PoE at-compliant switch to the uplink of the PoE-powered switch

I never saw one in my research.

RazorsEDGE

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Veracity camswitch is one I've seen used in enterprise on occasion. They work well but aren't cheap for a homeowner. I'm sure there are others that I'm not aware of.

giomania

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I realized I have the below on my list as an "injector", and it is really a switch, right? It is a PoE switch which doesn't rely on a power supply and can simply be powered off another PoE switch. Specifically, it requires power from an 802.11at PoE+ switch, and provides 802.11af PoE power to up to four cameras.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0198H6EUK?tag=ipctk-20

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
You're right, this is a perfect solution for anyone in the market for such an option. Combine this with the Zyxel 8-Port PoE switch and we have a winner :)
I realized I have the below on my list as an "injector", and it is really a switch, right? It is a PoE switch which doesn't rely on a power supply and can simply be powered off another PoE switch. Specifically, it requires power from an 802.11at PoE+ switch, and provides 802.11af PoE power to up to four cameras.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0198H6EUK?tag=ipctk-20

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

giomania

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Realized I could upload a .zip file, so I just updated the spreadsheet and uploaded the .zip file in the first post.

Mark

giomania

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I did a little more research on Ubiquiti, so updated the comments on those.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
If you're talking about Ubiquiti Edgerouter PoE, that's fine, but I wouldn't recommend Ubiquiti's UniFi's PoE switches because of its GUI :D

I did a little more research on Ubiquiti, so updated the comments on those.

giomania

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If you are saying this because their UniFi software is required to run 24/7/365 for optimal management, I noted this in the comments. If you are saying this because you think their GUI has issues, I would ask that you expand upon your post. :D

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
I say this because the UniFi software is required to run 24/7/365 for optimal management. :D
Although, their GUI "can" still be certainly be further improved *cough*, not saying it has issues, but they built the GUI with the intention that most consumers will be wanting purchase and integrate the USG, UniFi Access Points, and UniFi Switches within their network.

If you are saying this because their UniFi software is required to run 24/7/365 for optimal management, I noted this in the comments. If you are saying this because you think their GUI has issues, I would ask that you expand upon your post. :D

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
@giomania thanks for the list :) Perhaps, price ranges (using Amazon as a source) can be added to another column in that spreadsheet as well, Cheers

Stanley71

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I use an iPad most of the time to view the forum. Your zip file won’t open in an iPad. I haven’t tried it on my windows machine as of yet. Your original post did work.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
@giomania, lol I realized you added the prices at the far right side of the spreadsheet. I'm using laptop with a sub-par resolution, lol. Time for an upgrade :D

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Correction, the TL-SG1016PE has a fan :)

Also, does anyone know if the fans get loud on these things?

Last edited:

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
Correction, the TL-SG1016PE has a fan :)

Also, does anyone know if the fans get loud on these things?
Definitely has a fan. I just plugged my new one in. Amazon reviews argued back and forth about whether it has a fan or not but I think they blend the 8 port and 16 port reviews into the same pot, so to speak. It's not LOUD, but not silent either. Definitely noticeable even when my CPU cooler fan is spun up (stock i7-3770 cooler). Time will tell if it'll blend in for me or bug me. It's in a server/storage room, so it's not like it's in a living room. Definitely wouldn't want it in a room where you'd need quiet. I might stick it on the far end of the room and keep the 8 port switch at the computer end for a few convenient plugins.

BTW, it's rack mountable, has an internal power brick, and desktop feet, but no bottom screw keyholes for hanging on a wall. The included rack brackets can, however, be rotated so that you can mount the switch flat on the wall behind your desk with the front LAN ports facing down, which is how I usually prefer to mount my switches. I put 'em up above my eye height when sitting so I can see the lights and the cables hang straight down.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
I have this currently situated on a Network wall, it's the only switch which has a fan, lol. Was trying to go fanless, but for the price and features, TP-Link sure knows how to put out a quality product :)

Definitely has a fan. I just plugged my new one in. Amazon reviews argued back and forth about whether it has a fan or not but I think they blend the 8 port and 16 port reviews into the same pot, so to speak. It's not LOUD, but not silent either. Definitely noticeable even when my CPU cooler fan is spun up (stock i7-3770 cooler). Time will tell if it'll blend in for me or bug me. It's in a server/storage room, so it's not like it's in a living room. Definitely wouldn't want it in a room where you'd need quiet. I might stick it on the far end of the room and keep the 8 port switch at the computer end for a few convenient plugins.

BTW, it's rack mountable, has an internal power brick, and desktop feet, but no bottom screw keyholes for hanging on a wall. The included rack brackets can, however, be rotated so that you can mount the switch flat on the wall behind your desk with the front LAN ports facing down, which is how I usually prefer to mount my switches. I put 'em up above my eye height when sitting so I can see the lights and the cables hang straight down.

jrf

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@giomania
Is there a PoE switch which doesn't rely on a power supply and can simply be powered off another PoE switch, provided sufficient wattage is available? Would probably serve as a great fail-safe measure if included power supply ever looses function.
Intellinet 561082 PoE-Powered 5-Port Gigabit Switch with PoE Passthrough
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Intellinet-561082-PoE-Powered-5-Port-Gigabit-Switch-with-PoE-Passthrough/50283152

I have 2 of those running off a V7 POE+ switch and they have been working great.

EDIT: These will run off of a POE+ OR POE switch. If powering off POE you have less power available (obviously) 24 watts available with POE+ 30w input.

It also can be powered with it's own included power supply (68watt total output with this)

Last edited: