POE Switch to Synology DiskStation

raziel78

n3wb
Reaction score
I bought DS918+ and will be using it mainly as NVR unit. I should receive it tomorrow. I tried different dedicated NVRs and they work fine except the phone and PC applications. They leave so much to desire. That’s why I decided to go the Synology DS route.

This Synology DiskStation comes with two ethernet ports. I was thinking, can I connect my POE switch to the Synology DiskStation via one of the ethernet ports and then the Synology to the router?

The reason why I’m suggesting this setup instead of connecting the POE switch to the router and then the Synology server to the router, is because I don’t want the video to roam in the router and then into the Synology DiskStation. I want the Synology DiskStation to receive the video signal from the POE switch directly. Is that possible?

upload_2019-7-9_11-49-10.png

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
Yes just make it the ip network a different subnet to the network on your router side. How good is the NVR on the Synology, also I thought you had to license the cams separately?

EDIT Looks like CMS is free.

Last edited:

raziel78

n3wb
Reaction score
One of the important functions to decide my best NVR is the ability to playback recorded video from the NVR either via phone or PC. I tried LaView, Lorex and Amcrest. I did not like what I got. There was no way for me to find a clip of what happened at 3 PM for example, unless I went and used the actual NVR interface. My old QCAM 3MP NVR system worked fine quality-wise and was OK with playback but wanted to upgrade.

With Synology that I had the chance to try, the playback is very smooth and fast. My setup is not yet complete but there are certain cameras that are fully supported by Synology station, not just by using onvif.

Synology lets you use two cameras for free, but then asks to buy license for additional cameras. I will give CMS a try. I will also try out the subnet configuration you mentioned.

Thanks,

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
Bloody hell £130 for 4 cams and £280 for 8, makes BI sound really really cheap.

raziel78

n3wb
Reaction score
Bloody hell £130 for 4 cams and £280 for 8, makes BI sound really really cheap.
It's an investment for a better service when compared to other dedicated NVRs. Ironic how NAS is doing a better job compared to a dedicated NVR.

Any input on the networking scheme above?

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
How does it compare to BI.

I thought I’d already commented about the dual NICs?

raziel78

n3wb
Reaction score
How does it compare to BI.

I thought I’d already commented about the dual NICs?

Sorry, yes you did. I'm a moron. I thought you were someone else :)

I bought and installed BI about three years ago. Very intimidated with the setup, interface and how to use the software so I did not give it another try. I used to have a couple of Amcrest wifi cameras with tilt and zoom "the common cheap ones" and probably that what affected my judgment towards BI. I was also afraid that it wouldn't be as reliable. Again, that's a biased judgement. I might revisit this option.

Amazon delivered the Synology station. It is DS1019+ , not DS918+

Going through setup now...

upload_2019-7-9_17-5-11.png

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
Also how are you going to manage the cams if you’ll have the cams connected to the 2nd NIC on the NAS?