POE Switch vs. NVR w/ Built in POE

jay964

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi Guys, new to IP Camera world and just trying to figure out which route I want to go. I've done some Googling but can't find a good answer on the pros and cons of each.

If I go with a POE Switch, can I plug POE switch directly to the NVR or does it have to go to the router? I will probably end up going with a Hikvision NVR but am open to some other suggestions.

Looking at a 16 Channel NVR with at least 160Mbps bandwith input and output.

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
I haven't tried it so I am not sure if it's possible I simply have NVR connected to a switch which is connected to router

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
]
If I go with a POE Switch, can I plug POE switch directly to the NVR or does it have to go to the router?
You can and should plug the nvr into the switch if you have the spare slot, this way traffic is not router through the router. Look at dahua cameras and NVR.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
PoE switch lets you run other PoE devices, like WiFi Access Points and VoIP Phones. You can also setup your network how you wish.
Built in PoE gives you Plug-n-Play w/built in network segmentation.

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
As of late, I have been using Dahua NVR's with 8 and 16 channels with built in POE. All the processing is done in the NVR as its on its own subnet or as NAYR said segment. The advantage is its really plug and play. At home I do use a 4k NVR that does not have built in POE capabilities. I have a 8 port POE switch that my NVR and cams plug into and from there it goes to my router, all works well. If you are bent on the Hic's than go for it but I might be looking at the dahua NVR's for ease of use as fenderman pointed out. Depends on how much jerking around you want to do.