POE switch

randytsuch

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Ebay link is gone, but that looks like a 10/100 switch, so top speed is 100 mbps. You really want a 1000 mbps, or a gigabit switch.
The link from the PC to the switch wants to be 1000, the links to the cameras can be 100, but you need to get all that information to the PC, hence the higher speed there.

Reaction score
Wow. Nice catch. I had searched for gigabit switch and hadn't noticed that this particular one was not.

Thanks for the information.

Not sure what happened to the link unless the sale wasn't legitimate.

Is there anything in particular I need to consider besides being Gigabit and having enough poe ports to run enough cameras?

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

randytsuch

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Managed or unmanaged switch is an option. I bought a managed switch, but only because it was cheap on ebay. But, now that I have it, I may actually use some of the functions a managed switch provides, if I can figure it out lol. Cisco, or other switches intended for commercial environments are likely to be managed.

There is POE or POE+, where POE+ can provide more power to each port. POE provides 15.4 watts per port, POE+ is 30 watts per port
POE should be fine, if you getting a PTZ camera then you should check its power consumption and make sure POE will work.

Switches also have a maximum power they can provide.
For example, my 8 port switch that can provide 120 watts total, but they don't always provide 15 watts for all ports.

Right now, I only power one camera, and it uses 5 watts, so I have lots of power left lol

Randy