POE Switches

fmflex

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hello all

Just after some thoughts on what would be best practise or recommended. I'm just preparing to move back into my house from a major revonation/extension and working to getting my surveillance back online. I've got 11 cams patched to a panel in my rack and was initially going to utilise 2 TP-Link TL-SG1008PE switches with the cams balanced across both switches as I already have one and would only need to buy another. I would then be uplinking both these switches to another switch which everything else would be pached to (about 36 ports).

I've just been offered a secondhand Cisco SG500-52P for not much more than I was going to pay for another TL-SG1008PE. The specs of the switch is here
http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/switches/sg500-52p-52-port-gigabit-poe-stackable-managed-switch/model.html

Basically it's a 52 port switch with POE+ available on 48 of the ports. It's got 375w of total power for POE+ with up to 30W available per port which would more than comfortably power my 11 cams.

What are people's thoughts on utilising just this switch? I realize the old adage of having all your eggs in one basket but it would clean up my rack a bit and free up a bit of real estate. I've got to give a response sometime tomorrow if I want to take this or not as the bloke's not going to hold it for much longer.

Thanks in advance

Michelin Man

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
That's the kind of switch I'd run my whole network work, I'd probably even use the SFP ports for fiber uplink.

It is a bit overkill but if you don't mind the extra power that it will use and sound (I imagine it has a fairly loud cooling fan as they usually do) then it wouldn't be a bad option. And like you said it would clean up the rack.

I'm not sure how that would handle a indirect lightning strike but I've killed a few switches this way, I didn't have surge protectors on every line but it didn't take much.

fmflex

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks for the quick reply Michelin Man, my thoughts are the same as yours about it being overkill but it's being offered to me for just over $300 and it's been pulled out of a working environment for a business that's gone under. The noise isn't going to worry me that much as my rack sits in the cubby under the stairs which has a door that can be closed. All the panels for the rack will be fitted with only a cutout in the back door for cable entry.

I think decision made and I'll snap this up as it going to be less overall than another TL-SG1008PE and either 2 16 port switches, or 2 24 port switches or even a 48 port switch.

Michelin Man

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You can always sell that switch later anyways if your setup changes. I'd like something like that for my home but with 24 gigabit ports and a couple SFP ports, if only they were cheaper.

fmflex

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Or I'll just throw it in my IT bits box and save it for another maybe :)

Initially I was only going to throw a switch on the shelf in my WIR but my partner put her foot down about that and made me go the whole 9 yards. I was fortunate that the existing house was gutted back to frame as well as the extension I was able to easily pull through a ton of cables. I've for 2 cat6 cables fitted off at every point I deemed to wire to for the just in case I need another. Some such as the second cat6 behind TVs etc could very easily to re-purposed for AV. It's just easier to have it here and not use it than to worry about how to get another when I do eventually need another one.

Michelin Man

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I guess you got lucky on that, heaps easier to run wires. I just ran my cables under the house with them terminating into a small box with a rj45 socket. Now I'm finding I need another dedicated port so I can easily test multiple IP cams, wireless aps and etc.