POE system- I don't want to be robbed blind by service company....

Mariner77

n3wb
Reaction score
Hey everyone. This forum looks like a great jumping off point for me to find some advice, so here it is.
My wife and I both work and we are expecting our first child- so we know we're going to have a nanny. We want to be able to check in, see our kiddo and say hi throughout the day.

I think this is what I want:
- 4-5 POE cameras with 2-way talk (Hikvision DS-2CD2432F indoor IR Cube Camera 2.8mm)
- 7608 series NVR...Ability to record, but most importantly remote view and occasionally talk back

I have been looking at Hikvision systems but quickly ran into the grey market issue unless I buy the cameras from an auth vendor/svc company. I was put in touch with a service company that was asked to do a "parts and smarts" deal with me and below is the gist of what he wants to arrange:

$245 per camera
$550 for 1TB NVR / $575 for 2TB
$475 for (verification of setup and configuration...which I didn't ask for, but they are insisting on)
.....this is with me doing all the hardware/labor of running the CAT-5 etc.

- I understand U.S. auth parts are going to be more expensive, but this is literally double the cost!!

- Also, a friend suggested I look at using BLUE IRIS software.
If I use Blue Iris software, does this mean I could buy the cameras and NVR from somewhere like Amazon and not have to go through a local vendor?

Essentially, I'm looking for advice from start to finish. While going through a local service company might be the most hassle-free...it also seems like I'll pay a small fortune for it.

I'm fairly confident that I could set the system up myself with a little advice...and literally save thousands of $$.
Thoughts on any/all the above? I'd like to do this myself, but don't want to get in too far over my head. I need some serious direction.

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
....this is with me doing all the hardware/labor of running the CAT-5 etc...
If you're going to run your own cabling, I'd suggest that you purchase from LTS, Nelly's Security or Costco (who sells re-branded Hikvision and Dahua equipment) and do it all yourself.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You can buy unbranded hikvision from nelly's security and LTS from user milkisbad on the forum.

For $475 you could probably pay someone to do the cabling.