Poe

freqflyer

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'm looking at purchasing a switch for a PC/Blue Iris system I am putting together.

It seems that eight port switched only have 4 that are POE.

My question is how do you power cameras? Should I POE all that I can or is it better to run a power cable to them?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
PoE everything you can, and somethings you cant :p

they make poe switches that output up to 48 powered ports and 800W, keep looking.. Ive got 24p and I am filling it up quickly with all my cams, phones, access points.

freqflyer

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Where would be a good place to buy them? Also, is there a rule of thumb for how many watts per camera you need? Also, how long of a run before you need more watts?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
NewEgg, Amazon, used off Ebay.. local Recyclers if you have a tech industry will be giving em away practically.. (they make more handing it to you as-is for a few bucks than going through all the refurbishing of testing/packaging/shipping/returns)

depends on the cameras, check spec sheet.. standard PoE is max ~14w, most cameras seem to be 3w-8w depending mostly on IR capabilities.. PTZ's can get up to 20-30w

cable run does not effect wattage, you have 100m maximum on your runs to stay within spec.

j4co

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I for example use a 8(10) port d-link dgs-1210-08p with passive cooling.
This one is having POe on all 8 ports, but...

DGS-1210-08P (802.3af/8 ports/45W)

So total max is 45 watts. And 802.3af is max 15.4 watts per port.

Using for:
Hikvision Ds-2cd2542fwd (max 5 watt)
Hikvision DS-2CD2332-I (max 7.5 watt)
Hikvision DS-2CD2432F-I(W) (5 watt max)

802.3at would have been nicer, but no passive cooling and using more power to operate (this one 5.6 watts without POE active) and will have most likely fan for cooling.

So for my setup this seemed the best option (100€ new price here at the moment i bought it)
For larger setup with more cameras i would have gone for larger number of ports and 802.3at support.

POE is great option to have, only one cable, and that is for difficult positions less a worry than 2 cables to pull.

And indeed, a ptz can have issues, i mispatched my 5220 and it seemed to work until the ir came on, than it simply reboots..
I have the 5220 on ultra POE injector (60 watt) as it is in the specifications for 31.5 watts.

That "ultra" is defined as:

Power over Ethernet
PoE Standard Ultra PoE over 4-pairs UTP,
IEEE 802.3at High Power over Ethernet End-Span / Mid-Span PSE
PoE Power Supply Type End-Span + Mid-Span
Power Pin Assignment
Pair 1 End-Span: 1/2(+), 3/6(-)
Pair 2 Mid-Span: 4/5(+), 7/8(-)
PoE Power Output
DC 50V / 60-watt PoE via 4-pairs
DC 50V / 30-watt PoE via 2-pairs

It is a Planet POE-173 60-Watt Ultra Power over Ethernet Injector
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA29J1976933

Last edited by a moderator:

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
PoE injector, they are the supply end for switches that dont support PoE.. they are good for remote one-off cameras, but they dont scale well and once you have to buy a handfull of injectors your cheaper getting a PoE switch.

injector: http://www.amazon.com/iCreatin-Injector-Supply-802-3af-Polycom/dp/B00NRGJCM6/
midspan (aka multi-port injector): http://www.amazon.com/WS-POE-8-48v60w-Passive-Ethernet-Injector-Cameras/dp/B0086SQDMM

and then of course you have PoE switches: http://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-Gigabit-Ethernet-Rackmount-TL-SG1008PE/dp/B00E6LID0S

they all do the same thing, act as a remote power supply for PoE capable devices.. for injectors/midspans you need some patch cables to go from switch to supply

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

jasauders

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Do yourself a favor and get a POE switch instead of POE injectors. This isn't to say POE injectors don't function, but if you skip the POE switch in favor of injectors, if you build out, it'll get kind of ugly, just based on additional/otherwise unnecessary power cables, etc.

Me? I have everything on power injectors. But I also A) already had a fully functional 24 port gig switch, and B) found a box with a dozen gig POE injectors (the wonders of being the go-to IT guy for people who give you random stuff). It was a "free" way for me to POE my cameras, so I ran with it, but you can bet the next time I have some green in my pocket begging to be spent, a 24 port gig POE switch will be on my radar.