Point of sale

Icm

n3wb
Reaction score
Is it possible to overlay text on IP cameras video? I'm looking to install cameras in a supermarket and the owner is asking for a POS. I have never tried doing it with IP cameras. I'm looking into using DAHUA cameras and NVR. Any suggestions?

Thank you
Ovidio

Old Timer

Known around here
Reaction score
I have seen camera setups where they overlay the cash register numbers on the video,
so they can make sure the items get rang up correctly. IE. cashier ringing up a $1 item
and their friend walking off with a $10 item.
This one took a RS-232 output from the cash register into a box that intercepts the
video (analog) and adds the overlay, then back out and recorded on the DVR.

Reactions: Icm

Icm

n3wb
Reaction score
I have seen camera setups where they overlay the cash register numbers on the video,
so they can make sure the items get rang up correctly. IE. cashier ringing up a $1 item
and their friend walking off with a $10 item.
This one took a RS-232 output from the cash register into a box that intercepts the
video (analog) and adds the overlay, then back out and recorded on the DVR.
Old timer is 100% correct. To do it with analog is fairly easy. I just never seen it with ip cameras.

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
That would be a custom solution and would take some back end programming. None of them work out of the box like that.

Icm

n3wb
Reaction score
That would be a custom solution and would take some back end programming. None of them work out of the box like that.
Here in Michigan I have many customers with small stores want to replace their old analog camera system but are asking for a POS system.

Thank you all for your help

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
POS = Point of Sale. It has nothing to do with cameras. POS systems would include Revel, Square, Clover, etc...

concord

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Looking around, it looks like you would need a POS converter box that would output each cash register POS information onto an IP address with a specific port, maybe something like:
POS Integration Module for AVM Systems - Display and record transaction information with your security cameras.

It appears Hikvision talks about an IP-based setup:

And Dahua also talks about using a Toshiba system:

Icm

n3wb
Reaction score
Looking around, it looks like you would need a POS converter box that would output each cash register POS information onto an IP address with a specific port, maybe something like:
POS Integration Module for AVM Systems - Display and record transaction information with your security cameras.

It appears Hikvision talks about an IP-based setup:

And Dahua also talks about using a Toshiba system:

Thank you for your help. Now is time for some exciting reading