Polarizing Filter

FlipNJ

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Anybody ever use a polarizing filter on their camera? My PTZ is very dialed in except for certain times of the day in where when a vehicle is parked in the FOV, the bright reflection off of their windshield steals the show and tracking stops there. May try anyway.

42er

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hello FlipNJ,

I did test Pol filter an my SD59430U-HNI... but dont find the sample pictures. Sry.

I glue on all my SD59430U-HNI an UV filter (same, what is used für DSLR) some mm bigger, as the lense, over the lens, and so I have on all cameras (because of the thread on the UV filter), the possiblility to use all kind of DSLR filters. Also Pol filters.

What I can remember was, that the car windows (that was the reason for me (like for you)) were visible, BUT, like on DSLR, the Pol filter takes you brightness away (like a sunglass), and because my SD59430U-HNI are none starlight cameras, I prefer a better picture in the night, than having clear and visible Car windows.

Hope I can give you some information to decide... give it a try, and you will see my findings.

FlipNJ

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Hello FlipNJ,

I did test Pol filter an my SD59430U-HNI... but dont find the sample pictures. Sry.

I glue on all my SD59430U-HNI an UV filter (same, what is used für DSLR) some mm bigger, as the lense, over the lens, and so I have on all cameras (because of the thread on the UV filter), the possiblility to use all kind of DSLR filters. Also Pol filters.

What I can remember was, that the car windows (that was the reason for me (like for you)) were visible, BUT, like on DSLR, the Pol filter takes you brightness away (like a sunglass), and because my SD59430U-HNI are none starlight cameras, I prefer a better picture in the night, than having clear and visible Car windows.

Hope I can give you some information to decide... give it a try, and you will see my findings.
Thanks for your input. I have a couple 55 mm polarizing lenses that are extremely lightweight. I will try one and see how it works.

mech

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I have a linear polarizing filter on one camera. It cuts the light down substantially, but it does what it is there for in my case: punch through windshield glare to ID occupants of stolens and other crime-related vehicles.

polarizer example.png

mech

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
2021-04-29 08_18_36-20210429_081435.jpg - Windows Photo Viewer.png

It's a 2MP Bosch DINION IP dynamic 7000 HD that I had left over, with a Tamron varifocal lens at 50mm (targets are about 140ft out). The polarizing filter is stuck into that white thing, I can't remember what it is exactly, and that is friction-fit over the end of the Tamron lens. Its friends here are a Bosch 8000 Ultra 12MP, and Bosch 8000 Starlight 5MP, one of which is doing the LPR work. They look out through a 3/16"-thick / 5mm sheet of polycarbonate, which doesn't have as good of optical performance as the glass it replaced, but I thought it would be a worthwhile tradeoff considering the value of the cams and lenses.