Pole mounted remote camera install?

rufunky

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
How does one go about setting up a remote camera install?
I'm guessing there would need to be a waterproof electrical panel with some sort of cell hotspot but i'm hoping someone that has done this can give me more specifics.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
How does one go about setting up a remote camera install?
I'm guessing there would need to be a waterproof electrical panel with some sort of cell hotspot but i'm hoping someone that has done this can give me more specifics.
Define remote? 100 ft, 100miles??
Do you have line of sight to the location?

rufunky

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Define remote? 100 ft, 100miles??
Do you have line of sight to the location?
No line of sight to the location, It would be for a parking lot down the street from a business. The city is requiring a camera be installed. There are two light poles that could be used to supply electricity.

Reaction score
We had the pole installed, power was close by so that was easy, and had a dedicated internet connection installed.
The modem, router and NVR are all inside the nema box on the wall. I remote in via VPN to manage.

View attachment 62063 View attachment 62064
That is very cool. Where there’s a will there’s a way.
Did you have to do anything to keep the equipment cool in the box?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Not really, this is Florida so heat is something we live with typical 80-95 degrees F and 70-90% humidity May-Oct.. The box is vented at the bottom a little but the equipment has been in there for over 3 years now and no problems. Im sure it will take its toll eventually, but if the NVR gives out and the HOA has to spend a whopping $200 every 4-5 years to replace it its not a big deal.

rufunky

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
We had the pole installed, power was close by so that was easy, and had a dedicated internet connection installed.
The modem, router and NVR are all inside the nema box on the wall. I remote in via VPN to manage.

Nice setup :)
This parking lot has the same type poles. I was told, with receptacles on each pole. I think the only way to place cameras here would be to use 4G cameras on each camera. There are four poles but they are not really in ideal locations for the least amount of cameras IMO.

Maybe you can give some suggestions?new wp2.jpgIMG_7132.jpgIMG_7134.jpgIMG_7135.jpg

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Can’t help ya there, but many folks here are big on Ubiquity radios for remote locations. Search the forum for Ubiquity, there are a number of members well versed on them that might be able to help.

rufunky

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Can’t help ya there, but many folks here are big on Ubiquity radios for remote locations. Search the forum for Ubiquity, there are a number of members well versed on them that might be able to help.
Ok, thank you.

Jahua95

n3wb
Reaction score
I have similar problem and considering 2 options
1. Powerline internet - you will have to take for consideration voltage of the light fixtures (anything over 220v will not work ) and only one unit for 220v will work as adding more will cause problems. in the event of 110v you can use 2 units one for each phase assuming 2 poles are on first phase and the other 2 on the second phase. I have successfully used on 110v internet with speeds about 100 - 150 Mbps ( there are some important conditions that you need to take for consideration - you need to do some reading)
2. Cut the trench and lay conduit.

rufunky

Pulling my weight
Reaction score

BTW what did you use to drill the holes for the cable in the pole? Did you use self tap metal screws for mounting the cameras?

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Its just an aluminum pole. Drilled it out with a 3/4" hole saw bit and yes used self tapping metal screws to mount. Then sealed up the edges with simple silicone

rufunky

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Its just an aluminum pole. Drilled it out with a 3/4" hole saw bit and yes used self tapping metal screws to mount. Then sealed up the edges with simple silicone
Thank you