Police look to access private video networks

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
Looks like Project Greenlight that Detroit was so successful with is starting to branch off to other departments.

I have ZERO issues with police having access to outdoor public cameras located at businesses and even at apartment complexes. To be honest - most apartment complexes that have deployed local camera networks are not in the best of areas so I see this as even more ideal. Obviously you have a ton of "big brother" people voicing concerns over this but I see no issues with it personally.

IMPD soon to launch Project Green Light security camera program

What I am curious about is the method in which they get to access the video streams as well as how they are stored and reviewed. I'd also be curious what type of network this takes to handle hundreds if not thousands of feeds at once - both storage wise and bandwidth wise. This is just the tech geek in me!

SyconsciousAu

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
What I am curious about is the method in which they get to access the video streams as well as how they are stored and reviewed. I'd also be curious what type of network this takes to handle hundreds if not thousands of feeds at once - both storage wise and bandwidth wise. This is just the tech geek in me!
From the sound of things this is an on demand project where there is no storage, rather the feed is accessed remotely when required, and they go visit the actual owner of the system to pick up a copy of the recorded video.

Of course the criminal libertarians are going to be up in arms but is there any entitlement to privacy in a public space? Is there any real difference between the owner of the business making the video recording available to Police any time they request it and them making the feed available any time they request it?

logbuilder

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
From the sound of things this is an on demand project where there is no storage, rather the feed is accessed remotely when required, and they go visit the actual owner of the system to pick up a copy of the recorded video.

Of course the criminal libertarians are going to be up in arms but is there any entitlement to privacy in a public space? Is there any real difference between the owner of the business making the video recording available to Police any time they request it and them making the feed available any time they request it?
Public spaces are not the same as private spaces. As such, a pubic park or street does not carry any expectation of privacy. A private business is different. Unless otherwise clearly noted, I do not expect my actions to be filmed and made available to any third party with which I have no agreement.

SyconsciousAu

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Public spaces are not the same as private spaces. As such, a pubic park or street does not carry any expectation of privacy. A private business is different. Unless otherwise clearly noted, I do not expect my actions to be filmed and made available to any third party with which I have no agreement.
I think you would find yourself surprised at what, legally speaking, is and isn't a public place. Most retail business are, by definition, public places, because any Joe Bloggs can walk in there and have a look around, buy something, order a meal, get a haircut, etc.