Poof! Cameras Gone, Along With BI Support....?

Reaction score
After upgrading, as the v4 cameras disappeared with the upgrade, (with a full version) and activation I entered all 22 of the customers cameras in admin mode. I set up schedules, alert, email addresses, you name it – – we set it up again. After closing the program and re-launching it for user mode, all the cameras were gone. So, I entered all that information again in admin mode. Close the program opened it in user mode and--poof--all cameras are gone again. I have paid three times for upgraded support and I have only recently had a reply (after 72 hours)--a cut and paste answer about did I use the full version? Yes.

It has been another 24 hours and no support response and I can confirm if I quit the admin version the user mode will launch without all the cameras.

I am grasping at straws in the dark and I am really quite upset with the lack of timely support. Yes, I did try to go back to v4 after deleting all of v5 and v4 would not launch because of an error message. V4 has run well at the same facility on the same PC for quite sometime. I'm kinda out of patience and the return truck rolls have wiped out any profitability on this job. I am beginning to think this is BI service. Service like on the ranch.

Yours truly,

Mr. Klay Anderson, D.A.,Q.B.E.
Klay Anderson A/V/L, Inc.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
After upgrading, as the v4 cameras disappeared with the upgrade, (with a full version) and activation I entered all 22 of the customers cameras in admin mode. I set up schedules, alert, email addresses, you name it – – we set it up again. After closing the program and re-launching it for user mode, all the cameras were gone. So, I entered all that information again in admin mode. Close the program opened it in user mode and--poof--all cameras are gone again. I have paid three times for upgraded support and I have only recently had a reply (after 72 hours)--a cut and paste answer about did I use the full version? Yes.

It has been another 24 hours and no support response and I can confirm if I quit the admin version the user mode will launch without all the cameras.

I am grasping at straws in the dark and I am really quite upset with the lack of timely support. Yes, I did try to go back to v4 after deleting all of v5 and v4 would not launch because of an error message. V4 has run well at the same facility on the same PC for quite sometime. I'm kinda out of patience and the return truck rolls have wiped out any profitability on this job. I am beginning to think this is BI service. Service like on the ranch.

Yours truly,

Mr. Klay Anderson, D.A.,Q.B.E.
Klay Anderson A/V/L, Inc.
Next time wait until the update has been out long enough confirming there are no issues. Why would you update a system like this only a month after release? Why would you setup all that info all over again without testing on just one camera? More than likely though this is some sort of user error.
Leave it in admin mode for now. You should not have to roll a truck, this can all be done remotely.
You paid 30-60 dollars for support for a year, are you expecting a telephone call? if so its time to move to another vms and pay true support and licensing fees.

Reaction score
Sir, I waited a month and it was an appropriate time to upgrade this particular account. To assume is to sin. How much of a beta tester do I have to be for BI? So, what kind of user error am I making? I have paid over $200 in the last two years for priority support. I am not expecting a phone call, just a reply quicker than 96 hours and counting.....

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Sir, I waited a month and it was an appropriate time to upgrade this particular account. To assume is to sin. How much of a beta tester do I have to be for BI? So, what kind of user error am I making? I have paid over $200 in the last two years for priority support. I am not expecting a phone call, just a reply quicker than 96 hours and counting.....
Have you not read the posts after the initial release, is it you or your "customer" that suffers from OCD and must have the latest updates? I dont know what kind of error you are making, folks like you always surprise me with your ingenuity. The price is 60 per year, if you paid for multiple accounts that doesnt aggregate to demanding one on one service. Go look at what quickbooks charges per support incident. Ill charge you the same amount to resolve your issues.

Mr-Gizmo

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
After upgrading, as the v4 cameras disappeared with the upgrade, (with a full version) and activation I entered all 22 of the customers cameras in admin mode. I set up schedules, alert, email addresses, you name it – – we set it up again. After closing the program and re-launching it for user mode, all the cameras were gone. So, I entered all that information again in admin mode. Close the program opened it in user mode and--poof--all cameras are gone again.
The first time you upgraded from Blue Iris 4 (BI4) to Blue Iris 5 (BI5), did your cameras and settings appear in BI5 the first time you ran it? And did they disappear after you exited BI5? Or did your cameras, settings and registration disappear after uninstalling BI4?

What account type are you using when you log into Windows 7 or 10, a "standard user" or "Administrator" level user account? If you are using a "standard" account type, then I would change it to an "Administrator" level account type.

What antivirus security are you using? Since Blue Iris stores its settings in the registry, you could be encountering an access rights issue where Blue Iris can't save its settings to the registry due to a lack of access rights or being blocked by your security suite software from a "sand box" like security feature. You might want to try disabling your Security Suite software or uninstall it and then try installing and running Blue Iris 5 and see if it maintains its settings. Once Blue Iris is installed you can add its folder location to the Antivirus Security Suite software exclude list. I would also recommend running Blue Iris in admin mode using BlueIrisAdmin.exe.

Did you export BI4 and/or BI5 settings in Settings -> About tab? This would give you a path to restoring Blue Iris 4 or 5 by re-installing the software and then re-importing the settings file ("Blue Iris.reg") without having to re-enter all the settings by hand.

Yes, I did try to go back to v4 after deleting all of v5 and v4 would not launch because of an error message.
Both BI4 and BI5 share the same location in the Windows registry for its settings. So, uninstalling one can effect the other.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thank you for your response. First run after upgrade showed all normal cameras and settings. I checked all the settings and they seemed OK. I quit the program in admin mode to restart it in the use mode and thats when everything disappeared. I've tried several things and it still disappears. I'm using PC Win10 Admin (but I'll check). No anti-viurs other than Defender. I do use BI in admin as I have to add cameras and change settings each time. I do export that file after I'm through with the settings.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thank you for your response. First run after upgrade showed all normal cameras and settings. I checked all the settings and they seemed OK. I quit the program in admin mode to restart it in the use mode and thats when everything disappeared. I've tried several things and it still disappears. I'm using PC Win10 Admin (but I'll check). No anti-viurs other than Defender. I do use BI in admin as I have to add cameras and change settings each time. I do export that file after I'm through with the settings.
I was able to replicate this on one system but not on a second but only when running as a service. I then deleted all references to "perspective software" in the registry and reinstalled BI and its working fine.

Reaction score
Thank you. I'll try this on Monday. OK. Just for clarification, it is in admin mode and running with all cams and settings. I don't think I have it running as a service, but I'll check. Can I do the registry deletions while the program is running? If I quit the running program, I will loose everything and will have to start over....which is OK I guess.....

Last edited:

Mr-Gizmo

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thank you. I'll try this on Monday. OK. Just for clarification, it is in admin mode and running with all cams and settings. I don't think I have it running as a service, but I'll check. Can I do the registry deletions while the program is running? If I quit the running program, I will loose everything and will have to start over....which is OK I guess.....
This problem maybe caused by a weird combination of things that causes your settings to be deleted like running Blue Iris in non-admin mode and possibly running Blue Iris as a Windows Service. You can check Blue Iris Settings -> Startup tab and see if the option "run as Windows Service" is enabled. If enabled, you could try unselecting it. It will require a restart of Blue Iris and possible the PC. Also, run Blue Iris 5 using BlueIrisAdmin.exe.

You can backup your Blue Iris settings while Blue Iris is running using REGEDIT. If things get messed up again, you could double click on the REG file and restore your settings and get back into Blue Iris. This is more a troubleshooting step than a solution.

1. Open elevated CMD prompt
2. Run the following command:

Blue Iris 5 (64-bit)
REGEDIT /E:A "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\BlueIris_v5.reg" "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Perspective Software"

If you do not loose your settings running Blue Iris 5 by launching BlueIrisAdmin.exe and not as a service, then I would report this to Ken at Blue Iris support. When sending an e-mail to Blue Iris support, make sure you click the e-mail support button in Blue Iris About tab and paste (Ctrl-V) that information into the body of your e-mail message and address the e-mail to support@blueirissoftware.com. A lot of people do not do this and wonder why they don't get a reply from support.

Last edited: