Poor quality of detected objects using CPAI with Coral

wasserfloh

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello,

I am running a current version of BlueIris on Windows 11 with a couple of 4K cameras. I recently installed CodeProject.AI v2.5.6 and have been working with YOLOv5.NET (model size "medium" and custom model "ipcam-combined"). This works so far, the detection rate is fine. I only use the "medium" model at most and only send the sub-stream images to CPAI, but the CPU load was still too high for me. So I bought a Coral M.2 and installed the "Object Detection (Coral)" module in CPAI. The module is also recognized, but somehow it still doesn't work satisfactorily.

I have tried it with the models "MobileNet" and "YOLOv8" (which is strangely recognized by BI as YOLOv5) and have also switched between the "small" and "medium" model. On the one hand it does not run very performant (it seems to use the CPU anyway and the response times are not much better than before) and on the other hand it only recognizes junk. My garage entrance is recognized as a bed, my garage door as a refrigerator. A garbage can is usually supposed to be a toilet. I am very disappointed with the quality of the recognized objects. Am I doing something wrong or is Coral simply not yet suitable for use with BI?

Pentagano

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I've had no luck with cpai on coral tpu. From my experience best to stick with frigate.
Even the slower intel cpus are faster than the coral tpu on cpai!
6ms with my tpu on frigate and decent accuracy.
40ms cpai with my gpu or 200ms on cpu

hapstabu

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
For me also, the results with the three models for the Coral tpu are poor.
My mailbox is a toilet, my garage is a truck, the street is a train, a tree next to a distant house is a traffic light.
I also am using Frigate NVR with a Coral USB on a Linux machine, with Home Assistant to handle notifications.
It took a while to get it set up, but it's very accurate, and I actually like the user interface.
Someone here posted a while ago that they are using Frigate for notifications, and Blue Iris for 24x7 video recording.
I am really moving in that direction.
IMO, for the Code Project implementation, the Coral device was a waste of ~35 dollars.

Sent from my iPlay_50 using Tapatalk

wasserfloh

n3wb
Reaction score
Glad to hear, that I'm not the only one. Thought, I'm going crazy :-D
I hope somebody here has better experience with that and give some tips

Pentagano

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
For me also, the results with the three models for the Coral tpu are poor.
My mailbox is a toilet, my garage is a truck, the street is a train, a tree next to a distant house is a traffic light.
I also am using Frigate NVR with a Coral USB on a Linux machine, with Home Assistant to handle notifications.
It took a while to get it set up, but it's very accurate, and I actually like the user interface.
Someone here posted a while ago that they are using Frigate for notifications, and Blue Iris for 24x7 video recording.
I am really moving in that direction.
IMO, for the Code Project implementation, the Coral device was a waste of ~35 dollars.

Sent from my iPlay_50 using Tapatalk
I have frigate set up also in a docker container with a tpu m2 wifi now (had been using the usb but find the tiny footprint of the m2 tpu ideal and it is faster).
Frigate integration with homeassistant so I can manage the switches and get alerts from telegram. mqtt integration also..
It's a good back up for blueiris with cpai.
Works great for people and vehicles and is super fast and efficient.