Port forwarding- Ports cease to work after a day or so

injunear

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So, I set up a system for a friend. On three separate occasions I've have to change Port Numbers from 1080 to 1081 and now tonight, to 1082 else my friend cannot access BI 5 via his phone.....

About his system: He's using a D-Link router (very old) supplied by T-Mobile whose Ip is set to (gateway address), 192.168.24.1.......I'm suspicious of the dot24....
I think I read someplace that this would indicate that this is a router that's connected to another Router? True/False?
The computer (standalone) is at 192.168.24.108:108X, now 1082.

His Modem is recessed into a wall behind a plate so I really haven't looked at it so I don't know if it is indeed a Modem/router combination but of course I will based on what comments and suggestions I read here....

Anyway, anyone have any idea why I have to chase these ports and why they eventually Close, necessitating my having to set a new Port forward in the router and change the Port in the BI Web Tab on the computer and update the phone app too?

As always,
Thanks
Bob T.

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
How are the ports forwarded? By upnp or by a manual entry. If upnp then a restart would knock the settings out.

injunear

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
How are the ports forwarded? By upnp or by a manual entry. If upnp then a restart would knock the settings out.
Manually set.....It says "settings saved' after clicking the "apply" button in the router....

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I think you're going to have to investigate in person again the hardware and how the network is wired and will have to pull that thing out of the wall, draw up the schema and post it and some make/model numbers.

NoloC

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
If you think there may be two routers and double nat, run tracert to 8.8.8.8 and look at the hops.

injunear

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks all for the responses. I eventually used the DMZ in the interim as we waited on a new router. After installing a much more modern router (lynksys) the port forwarding works as advertised. The router choice was the system owner. As for me, I have switch to an ASUS and soon to set up VPN.

JonW

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Also just wanted to mention too that you had expressed concern that 192.168.24.x indicates that it is a router connected to another router. This is not true at all. 192.168.24.1 - 254 are all valid IP addresses for use in any private network and do not indicate anything special.