Port issue???

Reaction score
Good morning. I was wondering if anyone has an answer to this issue I’m facing. I installed some IP cams at an apartment complex. Owner lives in California but property is in Phoenix Arizona. Everything was working fine he was able to see the cameras on his phone without issue. They recently switched to Cox communications from Centurylink, (The Centurylink modem/gateway was a residential style )and obviously his remote access was disabled temporarily.

I went over and plugged the NVR into the new Buisness gateway provided by the ISP and no connection. I tried connecting my cellphone to the router’s WiFi and it connected to the WiFi but didn’t grant online access. After about 10-15 minutes I was online and the status on the NVR on the network /P2P screen showed online. Customer was able to see the cams again.

then, a few hours later the customer lost remote access again (connection failed) then the came back up a few hours later. He texted me early this morning saying that’s they’re offline again. I added the NVR to my phone just to see if there was possibly an issue on his end and no, I don’t see the cams either.
Would could be the issue here guys?

mikeynags

Known around here
Reaction score
Did you plug the NVR direct into the gateway with direct access to the Internet? It's possible it's been owned by a malicious individual.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Need a lot more details... How is the system made available via the Internet? P2P? Via some app? Browser? By IP or host name? Etc. etc...

Reaction score
Did you plug the NVR direct into the gateway with direct access to the Internet? It's possible it's been owned by a malicious individual.
Yes, NVR is directly plugged into newly installed gateway via Ethernet cable. The NVR was recently provided and installed by me. The previous ISP/router didn’t have this issue.

Reaction score
Need a lot more details... How is the system made available via the Internet? P2P? Via some app? Browser? By IP or host name? Etc. etc...
Yes, P2P and the DMSS app. Again, with the previous router/ISP this issue wasn’t present.

Reaction score
Just checked and now the cameras are on the cell phone. I’m convinced that there’s something intermittent with this particular router.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
He needs to call Cox and complain.
My Daughter has Cox and their stupid router, and has all sorts of problems with them.
You will probably find that it is losing the internet connection completely during these times.
You can log in to their online portal and see the state of the router.
But it's a pain in the butt.

Reaction score
He needs to call Cox and complain.
My Daughter has Cox and their stupid router, and has all sorts of problems with them.
You will probably find that it is losing the internet connection completely during these times.
You can log in to their online portal and see the state of the router.
But it's a pain in the butt.
I’m thinking you’re absolutely correct. When I was out there getting the NVR connected to the new Cox modem, there was no internet connection. There’s definitely some intermittent connectivity problems.

mikeynags

Known around here
Reaction score
So with this install you have opened up ports for remote access? If so, you should at setting up VPN access so that the device is not exposed to the open internet. I realize that won’t solve your current problem but for after you get it all settled.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk