Port open but can't connect?

RUMBLESTRIP

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I'm kinda stuck on setting up remote access via port forwarding. I can connect on my LAN through both browser and the BI app. WAN is a different story. The wizard can't connect, nor can I by any means. canyouseeme.org says the port is open. I have no idea where the problem might be so I obviously have no idea where to start looking.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
For the WAN configuration in the BI app, you do have it like:
Code:
http://WAN-IP:BI-port
....right?

And in the router BI's port is forwarded to the BI server's LAN IP, correct?

BTW, port forwarding is very risky.

RUMBLESTRIP

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
For the WAN configuration in the BI app, you do have it like:
Code:
http://WAN-IP:BI-port
....right?

And in the router BI's port is forwarded to the BI server's LAN IP, correct?

BTW, port forwarding is very risky.
Yes, the wizard sets it up that way, and my router gives me the same address, BI is set to port 81 as is my port forwarding for that Mac that I set to static.

I'd really like to get port forwarding setup so if my other planned method fails I can just open the port and gain access that way.

DanDenver

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Unless you request from your internet provider to have a static public IP, you may be assigned a new one any time once your current DHCP lease runs out or they restart some of their equipment or you restart your router.
But go to this address from your BI machine to determine what your public (WAN) IP is.
That is the address you then type into the browser
Don’t forget to add the port at the end as shown in post #2 above

RUMBLESTRIP

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Unless you request from your internet provider to have a static public IP, you may be assigned a new one any time once your current DHCP lease runs out or they restart some of their equipment or you restart your router.
But go to this address from your BI machine to determine what your public (WAN) IP is.
That is the address you then type into the browser
Don’t forget to add the port at the end as shown in post #2 above
I may have misunderstood when I thought there were ways to maintain the same ip regardless of what the isp changed.

DanDenver

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Having said that, I do not pay for, nor did I request a static IP. However for the last 2 years it has not changed and my service provider definitely has me on a DHCP lease.

Nonetheless, when I send an image out via email (resulting from an alert), I place my public IP address in that alert.
That way if I am out of town and they change my public IP, I will automatically receive that new IP address when I receive an alert.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
If your external IP does change then you also can set up dynamic DNS (DDNS) which assigns a host name to whatever your IP may be at any given time. Then you can access your network/server by name in the form of something like "myname.ddns.net:81" no matter what the IP is.

I use VPN but with FIOS mine changes fairly often so I have to go that route.

Last edited:

DanDenver

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Yes but if I understand correctly, every time your IP changes, you have to go to that site and update it right? Its not dynamic.
So if you are not on your local network (your out of town and cannot look up the new IP) and your public IP changes, then you cannot connect

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
It is dynamic. Depends on how you want to do it and what you're working with but generally you have a client that runs somewhere on your network (router, another always on computer, etc.) which continually reports your external IP back to the DDNS service. The DNS there then updates the host address with that IP so that lookups of the name resolve to that IP.

RUMBLESTRIP

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I figured out that toggling back and forth from TCP to TCP&UDP every 10 seconds will allow me to connect and be somewhat usable.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
You shouldn't need to do that (obviously). How are you toggling that?

RUMBLESTRIP

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
You shouldn't need to do that (obviously). How are you toggling that?
Just clicking and saving on the eero app. I have an Asus router coming, but I'm not certain it will be here in time. I may have to use a Walmart router temporarily.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Ahhh... OK. Don't know the Eero stuff. If you can get connectivity all the way through to your BI server and display things, then you know that the IP, port, server, firewall and all are OK. Otherwise, you wouldn't be able to get there. The having to toggle things reflects a problem somewhere else. Not sure what that would be. What happens if you don't toggle after being connected? i.e., displayed but stalls? get an error page?

The Asus should make it easier/functional. What you really should do when that comes is forget the port forwarding and set up the VPN. Most Asus routers provide that and it's fairly easy to do.

RUMBLESTRIP

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
If I have a live cam going, it would say "lost server connection" or something to that effect. It shows how long the server has been lost, but will usually play for a minute or so before it freezes unless I toggle the protocol. The whole thing is extremely unresponsive.

It just dawned on me that my server is on wifi right now, so that probably isn't helping, although I doubt that is the root problem.

RUMBLESTRIP

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Using WIFI in any part of the chain for a Surveillance camera system almost always adds another layer of pain and heartburn.
It was never my intention to use wifi. It was just a chain of events when setting things up and waiting for my second NIC. I forgot it was still on wifi

I've been staying with my mom who had a shoulder replacement last week. That has really put me behind schedule and made progress difficult. The lack of sleep probably doesn't help either, but it is working over Ethernet now.