Position / point camera inside a dome?

jbrand

n3wb
Reaction score
Can dome cameras that are not PTZ cameras have the camera positioned inside the dome? I mean, if I am mounting usder an eve, which is not parellel, or flat, can the lens be repositioned inside the dome to adjust for this?

Jeff

Attachments

icerabbit

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yes, they can accommodate that, but not all of them. Pay attention to the detail specs so that the camera has three specifications for pan + tilt + rotation (rather than just two: pan + tilt)

Example:

Adjustment Range: Pan:0° - 355°, Tilt: 0° - 75°, Rotation: 0° - 355°

Which indicate horizontal rotation left-right, vertical tilt up-down and lens/camera rotation. The latter being that basically you can rotate the eyeball in place clockwise or counterclockwise to achieve a level view, to compensate for slant in the surface it is mounted on.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum, if you post the camera you are looking at we can tell you if its 2 or 3 axis.

jbrand

n3wb
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum, if you post the camera you are looking at we can tell you if its 2 or 3 axis.
Thank you.

I am thinking of the HikVision DS-2CD2132-I. Possibly. I was going to make another post asking for assistance choosing camera's for my setup. I've been crafting that post for hours now making sure I have everything in place before I did so.

Jeff

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
That camera will not work, its two axis only. You need to look at:

1) DS-2CD2332-I 3MP EXIR Turret Network Camera

2)
DS-2CD2732F-I(S) its varifocal, much larger, with SD card slot, and optional audio in/out alarm in out. You need to order the S model for sound, no speaker or mic you need to add those.

3) DS-2CD2532F-I(S), Smaller size, less ir leds so less distance for ir coverage , sd card slot, optional audio that includes built in mic, no speaker, just audio out. You need to order the S model for sound.

networkcameracritic

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You can get the wall mount for the 2132 so that the dome is pointed straight down or you can make a wedge from wood to make the camera level which is what I do when I do reviews on 2-axis cameras.

cgull

n3wb
Reaction score
Don't let the small size of the DS-2CD2532F-I (mini dome) fool you...I have each of the 4 being discussed and the minidome is one of my favorites. It doesn't have the best night vision (fewer IR LEDs) out of the three but it's still REALLY good in closer quarters. The 2 axis DS-2CD2132-I 4mm dome has significant IR bleed although the 12mm version that networkcameracritic reviewed had very little. The varifocal DS-2CD2732F-I(S) also has significant light bleed at the wider viewing angles.

My favorites out of all these cameras is the DS-2CD2332-I if you need a decently tight IR beam of light (for longer viewing distances) or the DS-2CD2532F-I for the great performance in a very small form factor camera. Check out the great reviews done by networkcameracritic on each of these cameras to help you decide.