Positioning

lurker20

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello all,

First of all I want to say thank you to all of you in here, because of your knowledge and information a lot of people are learning (like me) everyday. I'm about to order a couple of cameras and NVR from Nelly's but before that I wanted some input in the positioning of the cameras. I will describe my idea and what I am looking to do and I would like you to provide me with some input in the matter.

kBszy.jpg
In the above picture. Camera A & B will be a 2742FWD-I 4MP WDR Vari-Focal Dome IP Security Camera 2.8-12mm and Camera C will be a 2542FWD-IS 4MP WDR Mini Dome IP Security Camera with Built-in Microphone 2.8mm. So, as we look at the picture "Standing in front of the house" The left side camera close to the garage is going to be covering the right side of the house and vice versa with the other one covering the garage area. The Mini dome is basically for when a person approaches the door and knocks or any deliveries that I can get a visual of their faces. What do you think?

Also, what I really want to know is the following:

-Both 2742, will it be better to mount them right in the corner(orange)? or a little bit forward from the corner(green)?. Please see attached pictures below:

DZSg2.jpg

The final question will be:

- I am thinking on position the other cameras around the house like picture A:

http://snag.gy/3kt8k.jpg

Instead of the normal way like in Picture B:

http://snag.gy/MXaW0.jpg

Is all this a good idea? Please critique as much as you want :) Thank you & I apologize for not displaying the last 2 pictures like the other ones, the site didn't let me.

L20

ruppmeister

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Looks like a good start to your setup. I would personally move cam B to the corner of the garage. I know you are doing verifocal and are probably wanting to cover the car in the drive but from that far you aren't very likely to get an identifiable image of a person unless you zoom way in and once you zoom too close you lose ability to get more area covered. The closer you are to the area you want to cover the more area you can cover and back off the zoom so facial recognition and more area.

As for the placement of the orange or green circles under the eaves, I would put them in green. Putting them in orange will cause the IR to reflect off the eaves and cause problems with over saturation from too much IR bounce back.

You could run either setup A or B as I think that is a personal preference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lurker20

n3wb
Reaction score
Looks like a good start to your setup. I would personally move cam B to the corner of the garage. I know you are doing verifocal and are probably wanting to cover the car in the drive but from that far you aren't very likely to get an identifiable image of a person unless you zoom way in and once you zoom too close you lose ability to get more area covered. The closer you are to the area you want to cover the more area you can cover and back off the zoom so facial recognition and more area.

As for the placement of the orange or green circles under the eaves, I would put them in green. Putting them in orange will cause the IR to reflect off the eaves and cause problems with over saturation from too much IR bounce back.

You could run either setup A or B as I think that is a personal preference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thank you for the quick reply. When you say " I would personally move cam B to the corner of the garage" you mean to the corner closer to the other camera? because as you can see the other corner is being covered by a small tree.

ruppmeister

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yes, the right side of the garage when looking from the street to your house as your pic is.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I agree with ruppmeister about the camera positioning. Mounting closer is better than zooming from further away because the infrared from the camera will be more effective when the camera is closer. And you don't want any nearby eaves if you can help it because even if they are outside the camera's view, they can still be hit by strong infrared light from the camera and that scatters back to the camera and appears as a white fog at night.

Also, when you mount cameras facing each other, beware that the infrared LEDs from each cam can create a bright spot in the view from the other cam if you aren't careful mounting them. Something I do in front of my house is I have a cam in each corner facing toward each other so they can barely see the outer wall of the house, like this:

(those are both 4mm lenses)

Thanks to the porch light between the cameras, I don't really have to worry about bright spots from the IR from each camera. But even if that porch light was not there, I don't think the bright spot would be so bad because the cams are quite far from each other.

This one is a 6mm lens, mounted at least 6 feet closer to the porch than the cam that shares its view angle.

And this is a 2.8mm lens mounted just above the front door. You can probably expect a very similar view angle.

JMartin

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have this concern as well... I have an existing camera on the far corner of my garage, pointing back at the house. Now I have another camera (ordered, but not yet installed) that I want to place in the exact opposite direction, so I can see the other doors:

(Red camera existing, yellow camera proposed)

Opposing Cameras.jpg

I'm hoping, since they are about 80 feet or more apart, that the opposing IR lights will not be a big problem...
Thoughts anyone?

Jim

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
At 80 feet I don't think you have anything to worry about. If it was under 40, then probably.

lurker20

n3wb
Reaction score
BP2008,

Thank you for chimin in and givinf your POV, the main reason for positioning them facing each other is because I dont wanna leave a gap in the middle where is basically blind for me to see in the cameras but I will definitely consider your points. I just wanna make sure I cover as much as I can with fewer cameras.

ruppmeister,

Thank you for also for the pointer, I just wish it wouldnt be a problem installing them towards the orange since I dont wanna make it too obvious to passerby's that I have cameras in the front.

JMartin

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Installed the additional camera yesterday facing the opposite direction... no problem at all. At that distance the IR's from the other camera are no more obvious than if I had left an outside light on.
Works kinda nice actually.

Thanx.