Possible Marriage From Hell??? (LTS NVR and Dahua IP Cams)

KidSquid

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello -

Looking to a group of experts for some assistance.

I am working with a client who has a LTS LTD8308T-ST NVR installed with 5 TVI cameras. This NVR is a hybrid which can also take on 2 IP cameras. We are faced with a situation where the client wants to add to more cameras and do to the environment we can not run any new cabling into this sealed area. We are fortunate that there is a enterprise WIFI point in the space and thus we selected two WIFI enabled IP cameras. The cameras are ONVIF and have been told by LTS the NVR is as well.

With all of that said, I can't get the LTS NVR to see the cameras. I can see the cameras just fine through a web browser yet the LTS box can't acquire them. I have tried over WIFI and through a direct Ethernet connection. In my places I see that there should be a way to add a custom camera to the NVR but it seems that LTS may have removed that feature from the HiKVision made NVR.

Does anyone have any experience with this? I was told there is an LTS expert who is quite active int he forums so I thought I might get some real advice. My local LTS store has told me that I need to use a POE switch...that would make sense if these were POE cameras, but they have their own independent power supply.

In the NVR settings there is only the default protocol and it asks for a MANAGEMENT port? I have tried the http, udp, rtsp, ports all with no success.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Squid

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Assuming this WIFI does not have funky firewall or routing rules, and has full access to the LAN, with the connected cameras on the same subnet as the NVR, then the NVR should not be able to tell the difference between WIFI and wired.

Maybe @milkisbad can tell what is wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:

KidSquid

n3wb
Reaction score
Assuming this WIFI does not have funky firewall or routing rules, and has full access to the LAN, with the connected cameras on the same subnet as the NVR, then the NVR should not be able to tell the difference between WIFI and wired.

Maybe @milkisbad can tell what is wrong.
I've tested it both ways (WIFI and DIRECT) and neither works. I'm really beginning to think that LTS doesn't like to play with others and have limited their NVR's to only their cameras....I really hope I'm wrong.

milkisbad

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Hi Kid,

you got the TVI DVR, the resolution is maximum 2 MP for recording...if your wifi camera is 3 MP try to set it to 2 MP and 15 FPS.

also possible is that TVI DVR is not as good as a stand alone NVR when using ONVIF camera. i don't think ONVIF works with it (on our demo TVI DVR under Protocol there is only a 'Default' option and not ONVIF...while the Stand alone NVR has more options for protocol when trying to add an IP camera) on your machine when you add the camera, is there any other options under protocol?

The default protocol should work with hik wifi cameras.

KidSquid

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi Kid,

you got the TVI DVR, the resolution is maximum 2 MP for recording...if your wifi camera is 3 MP try to set it to 2 MP and 15 FPS.

also possible is that TVI DVR is not as good as a stand alone NVR when using ONVIF camera. i don't think ONVIF works with it (on our demo TVI DVR under Protocol there is only a 'Default' option and not ONVIF...while the Stand alone NVR has more options for protocol when trying to add an IP camera) on your machine when you add the camera, is there any other options under protocol?

The default protocol should work with hik wifi cameras.
The cameras are 2MB so that shouldn't be an issue. In looking at the IP camera setup I only see DEFAULT as an option underneath PROTOCOL...
Is there a firmware available that might add back in the other Protocols? We spent some time at the LTS shop here in Houston before purchasing confirming that the HYBRID NVR supported ONVIF.

Any suggestions for moving forward would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Squid

KidSquid

n3wb
Reaction score
Weird....just ran the firmware upgrade and the unit still shows the previous version?

Is there another step I need to take?

lts.png

milkisbad

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
the one you have is pretty late too, if yours doesn't have it i doubt the 0418 one will have ONVIF.

Might have to get the LTS cube camera instead ...

KidSquid

n3wb
Reaction score
the one you have is pretty late too, if yours doesn't have it i doubt the 0418 one will have ONVIF.

Might have to get the LTS cube camera instead ...
Those cameras will not work for us. If the LTS firmware won't support it - can we cross load the HiKVision version???

KidSquid

n3wb
Reaction score
Well to update everyone, it seems that the model LTS NVR we had was not showing ONVIF support as it should. We uploaded all different versions of the firmware, reset the unit and still could not get the unit to show an ONVIF option. In working with my local LTS distributor we found that the same firmware on the 16 channel version of the NVR (as compared to the 8 channel we sold our client) did indeed show the ONVIF option. So for some wacky reason the same series NVR did not perform the same way with the same firmware version. 16 channel shows ONVIF, the 8 channel does not.

We upgraded our client to the 16 channel version and all of the wireless cam's popped right up.

Many thanks to all who offered guidance and assistance.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
thats some serious bullshit, but imho.. dont install 8ch nvr's, the cost between 8ch and 16ch now is just a few bucks.. the cost to upgrade later is starting all over.

pal251

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
That's pretty wierd. I got someone that is interested in a TVI nvr if your wanting to off load it for a price. (if it has the alarm inputs)