Possible to change zoom on Dahua Starlight IPC-HDW5231-RP-Z with SmartPSS?

Spudz

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Does anyone know if you can change the zoom amount using SmartPSS with this cam? This cameras has a 2.7mm to 12mm zoom range when doing an installation and I know I could adjust it directly from the NVR interface but not sure if you can do it in SmartPSS 2.0 or at least if you can I have not located where you do it from? Thanks for any advise.

MakeItRain

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
You should be able to. I am able to change zoom with iDMSS Plus iOS app. This works for not only 5231R-ZE, but 2231, and the HFW-2831 bullet cam. Yes, we are talking optical zoom. All these cams are varifocal.

bug99

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
It doesn't work very well, but it works. For some reason it is very buggy. It is in the bottom left of live view, not in settings for some reason (another odd thing). I tend to use the browser interface to zoom.

MakeItRain

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
The zoom feature on the iDMSS has been clunky for varifocal cameras. It works fantastically fine though for true PTZ cameras where it is designed to zoom in and out very fast like my 49225T-HN. I can very quickly zoom in and out by finger on iDMSS. Even when I'm in the browser mode for varifocal turrets, the zoom isn't as responsive. I suspect the motor mechanism is not the same as the big PTZ cameras.

Spudz

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
You should be able to. I am able to change zoom with iDMSS Plus iOS app. This works for not only 5231R-ZE, but 2231, and the HFW-2831 bullet cam. Yes, we are talking optical zoom. All these cams are varifocal.
Ok so where do you do it then? I have iDMSS plus installed. Let me know. Thanks!

Spudz

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
iDMSS quit working right on my iphone, I use EvoPlus - almost identical

3 steps
Ah so that makes sense. I knew how to get to this but it does nothing in iDMSS. Man Dahua sure makes some crap software! This is app has more bugs then any other app I have used. You have to wonder if they even beta test apps before releasing them. There are other serious bugs in this software that I won’t even mention here.

It is pretty sad when someone else’s modified dahua app works better then the manufacturers version! Come on Dahua you can do better then this!

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Lots of bugs in the newer versions of iDMSS. I gave up. EvoPLUS does what I need it to do.

louyo

n3wb
Reaction score
I know this is a little old, but I can zoom using iDMSS (iPhone) if I use gestures, not the + button. A little klunky but it works. Trying to pre-setup some Dahua cameras before going on-site to install. Since I am somewhat techno-challenged, this and PC-NVR are almost intuitive. :)