Possible to delay snapshot?

Darkflame808

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I tried searching the forums for delay snapshot to see if this has been answered before but I didn't find anything. I'm hopeful that someone can shed some light on this issue I have.

Is it possible to delay the snapshot feature?

A little background to my problem....

I live in an area where my mailbox is about 30-45 yards away from my front door. I've had issues with people snooping in my mailbox. I built a wireless transmitter that is wired to my mailbox that triggers my camera to look at the mailbox when it is opened. It works perfectly fine except that when the Mailbox Alarm is Triggered, it takes a snapshot of my front porch (where the camera idles) then moves to the preset. I'd like it to do the opposite (move to the preset then take the snapshot).

My work around is basically logging in and reviewing the last alert each time I get a notification that the alarm was triggered but it would be nice to just get the attachment in my email.

I'm hopeful it's not user retardation that's leaving me dumbfounded.

anijet

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
What about using the JPEG Snapshot in the Record Tab? Something like each 3 seconds only when triggered. You would get more snapshots than you want but at least you would have it covered without checking the clips.

Edit: If your point is to have the snapshot included in an alert text this won't help. Maybe a little more detail about what you want to do with the snapshot after it is taken would help.

Darkflame808

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Maybe this illustration might paint a better picture.

I have a battery operated transmitter that tells the camera to "look at me" when the mailbox is opened.

I recorded a clip and posted the associated snapshot. I have a 5 second lead time on the recording, when the post lady pulls up the camera is just idle, once she opened the mailbox door, the camera will turn and begin recording. The snapshot occurs instantly at the moment she opens the mailbox. I was thinking this just might be a situation that was not well thought out from the programmers perspective. i.e if a preset is set, have a function that says take snapshot immediately or after calling the preset?

Anyhow I hope this helps.
Here is the snapshot the moment the alarm is triggered.

And here is the video clip associated with the alarm (disregard the 5 second lead time, the alarm occurs when Mailbox appears on the screen.

Darkflame808

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
What about using the JPEG Snapshot in the Record Tab? Something like each 3 seconds only when triggered. You would get more snapshots than you want but at least you would have it covered without checking the clips.

Edit: If your point is to have the snapshot included in an alert text this won't help. Maybe a little more detail about what you want to do with the snapshot after it is taken would help.
Thank you!. I'll look into that, maybe I can write up a piece of code that can delete all but the 2nd or 3rd snapshot and send that over once an alert is triggered!

anijet

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
i have not noticed this before but now i see in configuring an email alert there is "attach X image every X seconds. Since I've never used this I don't know exactly how it works. Are the multiple images sent in the same email or would you get multiple emails? Maybe worth a try.

usaf_pride

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
If the problem is with the mailbox, leave it there and setup a PIR to trigger the approach to the door.