Possible to setup remote monitor

karpems

n3wb
Reaction score
Hey All,

We use BlueIris for our home security and love it. It is run off a computer upstairs and I was wondering if it is possible to setup a remote monitor in a more convenient location so we can always see what is going on in the house? Do I need to purchase another computer or is there an easier way to do this with just a computer monitor?

Adam

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hey All,

We use BlueIris for our home security and love it. It is run off a computer upstairs and I was wondering if it is possible to setup a remote monitor in a more convenient location so we can always see what is going on in the house? Do I need to purchase another computer or is there an easier way to do this with just a computer monitor?

Adam
You can use an android stick and run the blue iris mobile app on it.
Or run ethernet to the new monitor and use hdmi over ethernet.

jcummins

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
You can use an android stick and run the blue iris mobile app on it.
Or run ethernet to the new monitor and use hdmi over ethernet.
I'm wanting to do this with android stick. Seems the reviews on those devices are all over the place. The cheaper it gets the worse the reviews good/bad.

You have any experience with these? Recommend a specific one?

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
Thanks!

How do I do this? Running an ethernet cable is no problem at all.

Adam
Couple options depending on how far of a run this is.
1. Get an active HDMI cable from Monoprice.com - They sell them unto 100' and just run an HDMI cable from the NVR/PC to the TV.
2. If your run will be over 100' then get an HDMI over Ethernet kit and pull 2 cat5e/cat6 cables from the NVR to the TV where you want the display to be.
3. If you will want mouse control in this location as well look at USB over ethernet adapters so you can then place a USB mouse in the same room thus pulling another ethernet cable for this.

1. 100' HDMI over ethernet extender - cheaper then a 100' HDMI cable http://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=8121
2. 200' HDMI over Ethernet extender - http://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=6532
3. USB over ethernet - https://sewelldirect.com/superusbextender?gclid=ciqy05-ujsocfzgmaqod2qwc9a

So you should run 3 ethernet cables from your NVR/PC to your TV/Monitor location of choice. Use the HDMI extenders to provide HDMI picture (needs 2 ethernet cables) and then pickup a wireless mouse to plug in the USB extension thus giving you monitor control (on the 3rd cable).

I've done this with an Acer touch screen and Samsung touch screen monitor before giving full monitor and NVR control via a touch screen in another portion of the house that is mounted on the wall while the NVR is hidden/secure somewhere else.

Example, I have a 21" Acer touch screen mounted in our kitchen that is showing all cameras and also gives me full control via the touch interface, so I can replay, change settings, and even export to a usb stick or drive via the USB ports on the side of the monitor if I need to. Not to mention if I want to change the view so only a few cameras are displayed its quick and simple.

Last edited by a moderator:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm wanting to do this with android stick. Seems the reviews on those devices are all over the place. The cheaper it gets the worse the reviews good/bad.

You have any experience with these? Recommend a specific one?
If you can run a cable and hdmi over ethernet, you will get a solid connection that will never have any issues, that I what I recommend and do. you can also use an amazon fire stick/fire tv.

avi6581

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I've done this with an Amazon Fire stick running blue iris. I'll be honest though, purely for monitoring , I prefer the tinycam monitor app (I use the blue iris app for clip review etc on my phone ). This is mainly because it can view all my cameras simultaneously all with sound, and has a slightly better user interface when used without a touchscreen (as they were really designed to use on a phone)

heres blue iris

i now have tinycam set to auto load on boot.

The tinycam app is also a lot easier to load onto the Amazon Fire to stick without any techie know how.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I've done this with an Amazon Fire stick running blue iris. I'll be honest though, purely for monitoring , I prefer the tinyipcam app. This is mainly because it can view all my cameras simultaneously all with sound, and has a slightly better user interface when used without a touchscreen (as they were really designed to use on a phone)

The tinyipcam app is also a lot easier to load onto the Amazon Fire to stick without any techie know how.
have you been able to get tiny cam pro to work when authentication always and secure only is selected on the blue iris webserver? It it doesnt work for me.

avi6581

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
have you been able to get tiny cam pro to work when authentication always and secure only is selected on the blue iris webserver? It it doesnt work for me.

I didnt have have authentication set for lan connections. I tested it and can't get it to work. Doesn't matter to me as the android stick is on lan.

i am actually connecting direct to the cameras using tinycam for my view on the tv, as connecting via blue iris web server there is no audio supported. Appreciating the network overhead, but using low bandwidth mode, the cameras are using ~5kbs.

jcummins

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
My Daughter has a Fire Stick...so I tried using it for the Alibi Witness remote software. I got the software to the Fire Stick, but once the app is launched, the remote does not control anything within the app.

I'm guessing, I need a different stick that has usb port for a mouse....or is this software tailored to touch screen smartphones....and won't work regardless of the android stick I use?

Interpon

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You can use ipad and apple tv to mirror screen..works good and control playback etc..

jcummins

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
You can use ipad and apple tv to mirror screen..works good and control playback etc..
I have neither of those.

Would a true Bluetooth mouse that has to be paired and has no usb nano transmitter.....work?
I see two different mouse emulating apps for fire tv on Google play....BUT...reviews mixed bag, and some say the best one is now broken.

karpems

n3wb
Reaction score
I ended up buying a google nexus player. $69.00 at best buy. I could not get BlueIris to install on the device so I loaded tinyCam Pro and so far it works extremely well.

avi6581

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have neither of those.

Would a true Bluetooth mouse that has to be paired and has no usb nano transmitter.....work?
I see two different mouse emulating apps for fire tv on Google play....BUT...reviews mixed bag, and some say the best one is now broken.
I use wukong in mouse mode. There are ways to pair a Bluetooth kb/mouse to the Fire stick side loading a settings app.

avi6581

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I ended up buying a google nexus player. $69.00 at best buy. I could not get BlueIris to install on the device so I loaded tinyCam Pro and so far it works extremely well.
I'm a great supporter of blue iris and its mobile app, but you are right, for tv based access using a remote and not a touchscreen., tinycam is certainly a better user interface.

jcummins

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Got the fire tv stick working....all seems ok, but now caught the picture froze, twice after it run for several hours. Not sure if it's the fire stick, or the mobile software. Hate to, but may have to go with hdmi to ethernet setup.

ronan

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'd like to do this as well. Couple of questions.

Running BI on Android stick. I suppose you normally use a BT mouse paired with the stick to control the app? Say that's too hard for some people - does the camera cycle in the Android BI app prefer/loiter on cameras which are experiencing motion?

Running HDMI cable. Do you just clone the BI server screen, and keep it on auto cycle, or open the old internet explorer webserver and drag it to the extended TV screen? OR can you run second instance of BI and just keep that in full screen on TV on cycle, so you can use BI server PC at same time.

To make things more complicated, what about controlling PTZ on the TV? I'm thinking just use the BI Android app would be simplest.

Looking for fastest response and ease of use for the user, don't mind a bit of screwing around for setup.

Thoughts guys?

James DiBernardo

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
We have BI on all our phones and tablets, works great.

I'd like to see Ken make a Samsung SmarTV app... or something like that. For the Amazon Fire TV app, is that side loaded to work?

avi6581

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
We have BI on all our phones and tablets, works great.

I'd like to see Ken make a Samsung SmarTV app... or something like that. For the Amazon Fire TV app, is that side loaded to work?
Yes it is side loaded onto fire stick. I have settled in using tinycam instead. Much better user experience on a tv based system. Have blue iris on my phone for reviewing clips.