Power/Cost Monitoring?

Reaction score
Anyone monitoring the power consumption of your NVR infrastructure? Meaning, switches, routers, NVR, etc to get an idea of power cost? I have a Belkin Device that monitors power use and calculates monthly/yearly average cost. I'm happy to say that my TP-Link network stack and NVR with 4 4k Cameras is running about $10.50 a month to power.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Anyone monitoring the power consumption of your NVR infrastructure? Meaning, switches, routers, NVR, etc to get an idea of power cost? I have a Belkin Device that monitors power use and calculates monthly/yearly average cost. I'm happy to say that my TP-Link network stack and NVR with 4 4k Cameras is running about $10.50 a month to power.
Nice .. thanks @goatridesbikes

How many watts of a usage are you getting ?

iirc my cameras are rated about 5W each .. so adding the NVR .. fairly decent usage when I compare it to an incandescent 75W light ..

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
I've been very active in power management / power control for several decades on a personal level and business. Everything in my home that relates to energy consumption is monitored, tracked, and stored for historic recall. The primary system(s) are tasked to reduce my energy consumption while insuring any out of band events or conditions are acted upon, notified, and / or terminated.

This dedicated circuit monitors 90% of the network infrastructure and security force protection elements.

Just a quick glimpse as to how my energy consumption went up from 2013 ~ 2021. In large part to adding more infrastructure hardware, on time, and increased electrical rates. :angry:

To help offset the increase in energy consumption two separate and independent PV systems are in place. Both are grid tied but operate separately from another. A third PV system runs in a off grid capacity and is completely isolated from anything else to the home but is available to provide redundant power to mission critical systems if and when needed

Attachments

spuls

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
you can also monitor the power usage per camera if you have a good PoE switch. That also opens some options if you run any monitoring or smarthome software, e.g. to check if the IR LEDs are active by checking the power usage.

1656612123118.png

Looking Out

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
The cost values posted don't have much relevance because we all have different electric costs.

My BI PC, POE switch and 6 cameras is reading ~53 watts except for the occaisional spike during triggers up to ~70-75 watts for a second or two.

xxHi-Fixx

n3wb
Reaction score
My PC is running 7 cameras (6 4mp, 1 8mp, one is a LPR with IR on 24/7) and a UPS runs 80 watts during the day and 90 watts at night. My 8th cam is a wifi doorbell cam.

I recall it being around 50 watts just the PC and UPS. I didn't build it for NVR use, just repurposed it.

i5 9400
16gb value ram ddr3
500gb SSD nvme
4TB hdd (video storage only)
1TB hdd storage (mostly roms for games)
Two nice cards (cams on own LAN)

If I open the client software and view 8 camera with low res it jumps 10 watts, all 8 in high res it jumps up 50 more watts.