power issues causing different wifi reactions

scott492010

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
A week ago there was an accident down the road that knocked my internet out for a few days. I had to reset everything in my network all the way back to the fiber optic cables. During the process i ended up having to reset my router ( netgeat R6080 ) to factory settings. Since gettting everything up and running via wifi my camera now takes approx. 20-30 seconds to react. for example i use the preset cooridinated ptz locations.... when i go from 1 to 2.....it takes up to 30seconds before the ptz moves....before all this...my wifi was working perfectly with no hesitation. now if i even try to move my ptz in any direction the camera just goes nuts and goes way to far or not far enough. usually it just goes way to far. I have confirmed all my UDP and port forwarding seems good to go... but it doesnt seem to be enough....if anybody has any ideas i would appreciate it.

Attachments

Last edited:

scott492010

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I honestly have no idea what i have done...but while messing around with all the settings... it all of a sudden works perfectly now. If anybody has any idea what may have made any difference i would appreciate any advice. I did mess with the subnet mask trying to change it from 255 to 252 in the attached photo 555555....but it seems that it did not change....although immediately it now works perfectly. not sure what, how, or why.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
If anybody has any idea what may have made any difference i would appreciate any advice.
Did you change the channel allocation?
Do you have any strong WiFi from neighbours that might have been conflicting?

It can be quite illuminating to do a WiFi survey to see if it's worth tweaking the auto settings in an AP - this can be done via the smartphone.
Probably a few apps available - the one I've used for ages is WiFi Analyzer by Kevin Yuan (farproc)

scott492010

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Did you change the channel allocation?
Do you have any strong WiFi from neighbours that might have been conflicting?

It can be quite illuminating to do a WiFi survey to see if it's worth tweaking the auto settings in an AP - this can be done via the smartphone.
Probably a few apps available - the one I've used for ages is WiFi Analyzer by Kevin Yuan (farproc)
I thought channel allocation was the problem also. for the moment i am not going to mess with it anymore cause it is working so good all of a sudden. nevertheless, in the future i will work with that if needed. I have no strong wifi neighbor issues at all.

scott492010

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Oh dear.
Not good. And UPnP is enabled too.
Your LAN and devices will get hacked.
I have been running it all this way for 10 years with no incursions what so ever. The only issue i can imagine is that it is happening without my knowledge. nevertheless it has never been an issue. I have even turned off my firewall etc etc. all that stuff just slows everything down and makes my pc run hotter. If you think i am wrong could explain how it would be an issue for me?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Most Amcrest cams that offer wireless and wired have a unique IP for each interface.

I see that you are using the wireless LAN in the Amcrest as default but that IP is not set to static, it's set for DHCP, meaning the next time the power goes out another device also set for DHCP could get that IP from your router instead of the cam, the cam could wind up with 192.168.1.7 or whatever the router decides to assign it from its DHCP pool.

From your post in another thread on 5/14 and from an image of your router where "Blue Iris" port 81 is forwarded, I understand you use Blue Iris. If so and the above power issue happens again then BI could be looking for a different IP for that cam next time.

My suggestion would be to assign static IP's to all your cameras, printers, smart TV's etc. and write them down. Use IP's that are outside of your router's DHCP pool. In other words, if the router's DHCP pool runs from 192.168.1.2 to .99, use 192.168.1.200 to .253 for your static devices.

Last edited:

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
The only issue i can imagine is that it is happening without my knowledge.
For sure.
Check this out :

scott492010

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
For sure.
Check this out :
Holy good GOD !!!! How in the hell is a normal person supposed to get thru all this? I am not a hacker....I mean come on here.... I would bet 95% of camera purchasers have no clue how to figure all that crap out. Nor do they even care to attempt too. I am not sure i even want to spend time trying to contemplate why it even matters....Is there something top secret in my driveway ? Now...i guess it could be a issue if it is wasting or affecting my internet data, IE internet speeds.... other than that...if some hacker wants to spend all that time trying to see what my camera sees....more power to him/her. However, i will admit i would love to see who or what is entering my router from the outside.... nevertheless, after searching with my limited intelligence i was unable to find a software that would do it in a way a lay person like myself could comprehend easily.

th182

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Holy good GOD !!!! How in the hell is a normal person supposed to get thru all this? I am not a hacker....I mean come on here.... I would bet 95% of camera purchasers have no clue how to figure all that crap out. Nor do they even care to attempt too. I am not sure i even want to spend time trying to contemplate why it even matters....Is there something top secret in my driveway ? Now...i guess it could be a issue if it is wasting or affecting my internet data, IE internet speeds.... other than that...if some hacker wants to spend all that time trying to see what my camera sees....more power to him/her. However, i will admit i would love to see who or what is entering my router from the outside.... nevertheless, after searching with my limited intelligence i was unable to find a software that would do it in a way a lay person like myself could comprehend easily.
The concern is less about viewing your video feed and more about what software they could install on your camera, router, or any other device they get access to through port forwarding. They could turn a device into a bot to do their dirty deeds or they could start trying to spy on your internet traffic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The concern is less about viewing your video feed and more about what software they could install on your camera, router, or any other device they get access to through port forwarding. They could turn a device into a bot to do their dirty deeds or they could start trying to spy on your internet traffic.
Wow...great minds think alike, they say.
I was penning pretty much the same response to @scott492010 when yours popped up....at 71, I'm running slow (more like running empty).:highfive:

th182

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Wow...great minds think alike, they say.
I was penning pretty much the same response to @scott492010 when yours popped up....at 71, I'm running slow (more like running empty).:highfive:
haha! Gotta be quicker than that! I guess at 33 I’ve got a bit of speed on you! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk