power supply question

Nike

n3wb
Reaction score
camera specs say: 12V DC, max 5.5Watts.

What amperage power supply should I get, if I want to connect 2 of these cameras using the same
supply.

(what happens to the wattage requirements when things are connected in parallel)

Thanks!

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

What amperage power supply should I get, if I want to connect 2 of these cameras using the same
supply.

(what happens to the wattage requirements when things are connected in parallel)

Thanks!
Hi @Nike

Are these PoE cameras?

Why not a small POE switch?

Valiant

Pulling my weight
Reaction score

supply.

Thanks!
Still using analogue cameras or not using the POE ?.

Using the formula, P=VI, current draw on the power supply will be approx 0.46 Amps. For two cameras, current requirements will be double (wattage or power per camera does not change). I would purchase a power supply with a minimum spec of 1.5A

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

supply.

Thanks!
POE would be best, but if you cannot do POE, you add the watts.
So 11 watts /12 volts = .9166 amps or 1 amp rounded off. A 1.5 amp minimum supply would do, but I'd use a 2 amp-rated 12VDC power supply.

Nike

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you guys,
transitioning to PoE (running cables).

For now, I'll use either a 1.5A or 2A 12V DC power supply.

So just for clarification, if a power supply says 12V DC - 2A, does that mean it will always push 2amps into the camera, or is that the power supply's potential maximum, and the camera will draw only what it needs. Thanks!

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thank you guys,
transitioning to PoE (running cables).

For now, I'll use either a 1.5A or 2A 12V DC power supply.

So just for clarification, if a power supply says 12V DC - 2A, does that mean it will always push 2amps into the camera, or is that the power supply's potential maximum, and the camera will draw only what it needs. Thanks!
Yes only to "......is that the power supply's potential maximum" and ".....the camera will draw only what it needs."