Power Supply Wiring

aidanmcg33

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi I've 6 cameras around the house which are all wired using cat5e cable. I've brought all the wires back to a central point in the house and now need to connect them to the 9 way distribution box and the DVR. Connections to the DVR are handled via passive video balun.

I am worried about the mess of wires that might be left behind if I need to strip the CAT5 back and take some of the wires into the PSU and connect the others into the baluns. Has anyone any photos of how this has been done well in the past or tips on how not to end up with a big mess of cable.

Thanks

eggsan

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
i understand you have one cable per camera and by 9-way distribution box, you mean a 9 channels power supply (mostly 12Vdc) at the DVR side. For the balun, select an keep a twisted pair (same color) at both ends. For the power supply (assuming 12Vcd, then +ve, -ve), use the remaining pairs. Read the instructions from the following side:

aidanmcg33

n3wb
Reaction score
Where to run the wires etc isn't an issue. It's how to do it in a way that is neat. I was hoping people might have photos of previous wiring attempts that would illustrate how to leave an organised and neat finish

aidanmcg33

n3wb
Reaction score
Apologies but I'm perhaps not being clear on what I'm needing help with. None of the pictures show how the PSU is wired and how the CAT5 cables are wired into the PSU and into the DVR which is what I'm after

aidanmcg33

n3wb
Reaction score
OK so hopefully to help explain what I'm after, I am trying to avoid ending up with a finished product that looks like this:
mess.jpg

My PSU is Haydon HAY-PS912
20200405_171748.jpg 20200405_171742.jpg

Here is the wiring layout that I'm following
Layout.png

The best image I have found that gives me an indication of how to wire this neatly is this one but the wiring here is not CAT5
Screenshot_20200405.jpg

Hopefully this helps and thanks for the assistance so far.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
OK, so you'd need to split the cables back for a bit longer than is in the linked images such that there is enough length to reach into the PSU box and its screw connectors.
The wires to the PSU can safely be bundled together from where they exit the Cat5E cable for neatness, and the free length at the baluns minimised again for neatness close to the DVR.
The PSU wires can be enclosed in a spiral sheath as a way to bundle them.

eggsan

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The way I normally setup the cable management at the DVR/PS end point, enter the cat5 (Point-A) into PS metal box. Using a wire stripper to slightly cut the cover and expose all four cable pairs (Point-C). Cut all cables (Point-C, no need to remove the cable cover), except the blue pair. Do another slightly cover cut, approximately 12 inches behind (do not cut the cables, only the cover). Pull and extract all three pairs except the blue. Use those exposed pairs for connecting power to the cameras, as explained in the site link. Exit the power supply metal box to connect the blue pair to the balun (Point-D)

cat5 cable run.png

aidanmcg33

n3wb
Reaction score
The way I normally setup the cable management at the DVR/PS end point, enter the cat5 (Point-A) into PS metal box. Using a wire stripper to slightly cut the cover and expose all four cable pairs (Point-C). Cut all cables (Point-C, no need to remove the cable cover), except the blue pair. Do another slightly cover cut, approximately 12 inches behind (do not cut the cables, only the cover). Pull and extract all three pairs except the blue. Use those exposed pairs for connecting power to the cameras, as explained in the site link. Exit the power supply metal box to connect the blue pair to the balun (Point-D)

View attachment 58894
Perfect, thank you