Powering Hik dome camera

mwm

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi,
I bought an (apparently) DS-2CD3132-I from AliExpress and when it said it was PoE I expected the power would be drawn through the ethernet cable but it looks like they want a PoE splitter to power this (pic below).

There wasn't a single bit of documentation with the camera so I'm not sure what it's powered with.

The plan is to install it under the soffit and bring the ethernet the 3 meters to the unmanaged non-poe switch.

I was thinking just because I only have 1 camera, and there is a wall socket just 1 meter from where the camera will be installed… could I somehow just get a recommended power adapter of some kind and connect it directly to that camera chord, and wrap electrical tape around it to make sure there's no moisture or short that would burn down the house?

Or must I put a poe injector and splitter on both ends.

Thanks

Attachments

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
No, you don't need separate power, it's just an option. I have the same dome powered via ethernet cable.

Michelin Man

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
It seems you may be confused. The Ethernet standard does not have power comming out of the ethernet port. You need either a PoE switch or a PoE injector on the input side. The device itself will have to be PoE capable obviously for use without a splitter.

If you were powering IP cameras which don't have PoE capability but had a PoE switch/injector on the input you could use a PoE splitter i.e. from TP-Link which also has selectable voltage output to suit you camera.

For some interesting reason. With the hikvisiom cameras I played with I could not see the cameras on SADP if I powered them via 12v adapter. But only via PoE, then after I set the IP and etc it would work on a 12v adapter over a non powered ethernet port.

If you do use a 12v adapter which in your case seems like the easiest approach. Make sure you get a regulated 12v adapter and not a typical cheap adapter.

Last edited by a moderator:

Michelin Man

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I've never really liked those Passive/Dumb PoE injectors as they provide power all the time regardless of what is on the other end.

Not to mention, usually poor regulation and etc, but they get the job done.

If it's just for the camera and only the camera on that port it's fine but yeah. Then again I wired my home network like a commercial site so yeah haha.