Powerline AC Adapters

Dramus

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
If you're not going for maximum smoke (bandwidth), I suggest a product that focuses on stability and reliability over throughput. When I researched it a year-and-a-half back or so, I found Comtrend's G.hn products appeared to be the winner in that respect. So I ordered a pair.

I don't recall what was the maximum throughput I ever got out of them in the best-case scenario. I do know it wasn't anywhere close to their stated 1200mb/s. What was more interesting to me is how they'd fare in a worst-case scenario. To that end: I put them at the far ends of two of the worst branch circuits on the property: One in the computer room (farthest corner from the distribution panel, one of the most populated branch circuits in the home, and certainly the busiest), and the other in the shed--about 60 ft. from the back of the house and over 100 wire feet from the distribution panel. Those two branch circuits are on opposite sides of the split phase. (However, I had installed an inductive phase coupler in the breaker box, years ago, in a vain attempt to improve X-10 reliability.)

Put my laptop out in the shed, fired-up an iperf3 server instance, and ran repetitive iperf3 bandwidth tests from the LAN server. Got a reliable 80Mb/s. IIRC, network stats indicated few (if any?) network errors on the laptop's Ethernet interface.

Right now I have one of them set up in the shed, again, for another test. I've had a persistent ping running against it since last evening. Current stats:
Code:
Loss%   Snt Drop   Last   Avg  Best  Wrst StDev
0.0%  15485   0    2.7    1.3  1.3   15.9  0.9
(Mind you: Network pings aren't particularly demanding and it's not doing anything other than sitting out there. There's no network load on it.)