Powerline adapter with POE?

dabflyboy

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Does anyone have any suggestions on a good powerline adapter with POE onboard? I have a detached garage (about 100ft away) that I'm going to mount a camera to, and I would really rather not have to run a cable out to it. Thanks.

EDIT: Or is a powerline adapter with a pass-thru really my only option for something like this?

Last edited:

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
In the past i used a TRENDnet TPL-331EP POE powerline adapter.

It did not work well for me. So i wired everything with a standard POE Ethernet cable.

Power line adapters seem to have problems when the electrical path pass through the main breaker box.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Or going thru a battery backup or power strip!

I have had decent success a couple of instances otherwise.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have had great success with a pair of TP-LINK AV-1000 gigabit powerline adapters ("PLA") for over 3 years from the Blue Iris server to the cam in the garage with a bonus room above it and no access above, below (slab) or walls to run Ethernet. It has been rock steady and I have no complaints. The 2 different circuits go thru the panel, distance is about 60 feet and it (the PLA and a separate POE injector) and the PLA near the BI server are on different circuits. I cannot state that they are on the same leg (L1 or L2) of a 120/240VAC, 3 wire, single phase service.

There are units that offer PLA operation and POE at one end but they are pricey and are not a brand I am familiar with. I suggest a pair of the TP-LINK units like mine and a 802.3af-compliant POE injector at the camera.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Why struggle with powerline adapters? Get a pair of Ubiquiti Nano Station Locos and be done with it. Reliable, encrypted, and not all that expensive.
I wouldn't call it a "struggle" so much, they both have their place, IMO. I'm a big fan of Ubiquiti Layer 2 Transparent Bridges and have installed about 10 of them. I've also have used PLA's in a couple of places and they work great, at least in my application. Sometimes they don't work because of being on different legs of the 120/240 or other issues that make them unreliable.

A pair of PLA's comes to about $50, 2 Loco's about twice that much. The PLA's are in and working in about 10 minutes, the Loco's a couple of hours, at best.

But in this instance, I tend to agree that the Loco's might be a better choice, even though they cost more and aren't exactly plug 'n play, because of the OP's location...Florida, otherwise known as "The Lightning Capital of the World". Where I'm at in neighboring Alabama we have some horrendous lightning storms as well and I think the Locos would fare better than the PLAs after a nearby strike that could induce some surge on the power lines.

I NEVER string Ethernet cables between homes and barns/shops/guest houses out here....UBNT all the way, baby. A pair can be purchased that's already configured or you can configure with this guide from UBNT.

Below is a drawing of the schema from house to garage and below that a image of my homemade, rust-proof radio brackets. Shorten the vertical PVC pipe for Locos, its shown for the taller Nanostations.

Ubiquiti_layer2_bridge-cams.jpg

UBNT_Vertical-Wall-Mount_med.jpg

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

plomaris

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Way back when I had the Logitech Alert Camera system. I've long since ditched the Alert Cameras and replaced them with Hikvision cubes, but have kept many of their PLA/POE adapters and they have worked fine for years. However, those adapters are no longer made, so I would have to replace with a different brand (like those mentioned in previous posts) if they start crapping out. You might still be able to find them on eBay: model LA700i for the cameras, NA750 for the router connection.

spile

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Powerline adapters were ideal for me when setting up the system so that I could try different camera locations before I purchased and ran out a long Ethernet cable run.

SamM

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I recently had success with a TP-LINK AV600 POWERLINE STARTER KIT, QUALCOMM, 1 F | TL-PA4010 KIT. I however used a POE injector with Colour view camera.