Pre-trigger buffer not being recorded

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
Was playing around with BI on my eval rig, not played around with the latest versions of BI for quite a while but I’ve noticed that the pre-trigger buffer settings when triggered externally via ONVIF isn’t being used, so the recording starts when the external trigger was sent by the cam whereas previously the video recording would start from whatever the buffer setting was set to.

Not had a chance to work out at what release this changed but will have another play tomorrow but am wondering if anybody else has noticed this?

jrbeddow

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I was just going to ask about this too: while this is a workaround (scrolling back when viewing on the console), it doesn't help much for viewing alerts that come though via mobile and we are accessing via UI3 (or the app). In many cases the "event" that triggered the camera is now almost out of screen: it is maddening for those of us that have only bought modern ONVIF AI capable cameras (5442 series in my case), only to find that using the "native" AI motion detection is worse in this respect than the original B.I. server motion detection (with or without DeepStack).

Has anyone brought this up with Ken to see if it might be a possible feature? It doesn't seem like it would be out of the question, as clearly the pre-trigger buffer is capable of recording at full resolution for several seconds, it is only the alert time stamp that also needs to be moved back a few seconds to match.

Hoping with fingers crossed....

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I was just going to ask about this too: while this is a workaround (scrolling back when viewing on the console), it doesn't help much for viewing alerts that come though via mobile and we are accessing via UI3 (or the app). In many cases the "event" that triggered the camera is now almost out of screen: it is maddening for those of us that have only bought modern ONVIF AI capable cameras (5442 series in my case), only to find that using the "native" AI motion detection is worse in this respect than the original B.I. server motion detection (with or without DeepStack).

Has anyone brought this up with Ken to see if it might be a possible feature? It doesn't seem like it would be out of the question, as clearly the pre-trigger buffer is capable of recording at full resolution for several seconds, it is only the alert time stamp that also needs to be moved back a few seconds to match.

Hoping with fingers crossed....
The more people that report it to Ken and request it, the more likelihood that it will be modified in the future. Maybe you reporting it hits the critical mass!

jrbeddow

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The more people that report it to Ken and request it, the more likelihood that it will be modified in the future. Maybe you reporting it hits the critical mass!
I just heard back from Ken today, and I am happy to report that this long missing feature has now been implemented as of today in the 5.5.5.10 release. In my own testing, the External/ONVIF triggers now have the Alert timestamp correctly aligned with the start of the pre-trigger/buffer, as had been the case previously only with the built-in Blue Iris motion detection (with or without DeepStack). Alerts just got a whole lot more useful for those of us heavily invested in using the on-camera A.I. triggers.

Yeah, another awesome feature added quietly under the very modest heading of "Other minor updates and fixes". Very cool stuff :cool: .