Privacy Invasion CCTV Style...

MacFun

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
It has come to my attention very recently that my neighbor has installed a high resolution security camera and it’s pointing directly at my patio and into my garage and my driveway and my front lawn! I now have ZERO privacy in front of my house. I cannot have a conversation without that audio being recorded. I feel like I'm being harassed.

What are my options to disable (blind) the camera video and prevent the microphone from recording useful audio?
-Can legally I blind the camera with some light source?
-What type of light source would blind the camera effectively? What would work well for day and night?
-How might you render the audio useless? A speaker in the soffit of my home that plays the radio? A certain frequency or white noise?

It would be great if I could flick a switch in my home and activate the video and audio countermeasures easily.

Please make some suggestions, I look forward to your reply.

Thanks,

Robert
TEXAS USA

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Do you think people here will answer that as most here have cameras seeing public spaces LOL

If your garage and front yard can be seen from the public areas like the sidewalk or street, probably not much you can do about it....

Last edited:

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Laws vary by country, state and local laws. In general if signs are posted, it is because of a law.

Many will place the sign so that people know the audio may be recorded as well. Some states that is an issue, although we haven't seen many instances of someone getting cited for a Ring doorbell. The laws simply haven't caught up yet.

If there were an issue with recording audio, one would hope the police would not be partnering with Ring and others to allow folks to be able to distribute their audio and video to them...If it were a big issue in your jurisdiction, I would hope they would not ask for it and jeopardize their case if a defense attorney could use it to make a claim to dismiss the case based on illegally obtained recordings....but we do see that happen on other items where they say the police illegally obtained information, searched, etc...

Amazon’s Ring now reportedly partners with more than 2,000 US police and fire departments

In general, if you can see the same thing you could standing on your property, it is fair game. Obviously do not have a camera zoomed and focused in on a bedroom or bathroom or a camera on the 2nd floor zoomed in over a privacy fence to see your neighbor sunbathing in the nude.

But with so many having wide angle cameras, you would see more standing on your porch looking in your neighbors window across the street than with that wide angle cam LOL

Research the internet...you will see generally until they break the law, having cameras pointed to public areas is fair game. These links may help:

Last edited:

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I hate to say this but get use to it. Our nation is no longer the free nation it once was. Camera's are everywhere just like the other major Communist countries. Main reason for residential Camera's is security. 50 years ago we kept our doors unlocked. Crime is everywhere now, daytime crime now, use to be mainly at night...As I tell most who don't like the new crimewave, it is all about how you vote...

Here is Hoodie you could wear at night :)

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I hate to say this but get use to it. Our nation is no longer the free nation it once was. Camera's are everywhere just like the other major Communist countries. Main reason for residential Camera's is security. 50 years ago we kept our doors unlocked. Crime is everywhere now, daytime crime now, use to be mainly at night...As I tell most who don't like the new crimewave, it is all about how you vote...

Here is Hoodie you could wear at night :)

Won't do much to a full color cam, fortunately. :cool:

Starglow

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
It has come to my attention very recently that my neighbor has installed a high resolution security camera and it’s pointing directly at my patio and into my garage and my driveway and my front lawn! I now have ZERO privacy in front of my house. I cannot have a conversation without that audio being recorded. I feel like I'm being harassed.

What are my options to disable (blind) the camera video and prevent the microphone from recording useful audio?
-Can legally I blind the camera with some light source?
-What type of light source would blind the camera effectively? What would work well for day and night?
-How might you render the audio useless? A speaker in the soffit of my home that plays the radio? A certain frequency or white noise?

It would be great if I could flick a switch in my home and activate the video and audio countermeasures easily.

Please make some suggestions, I look forward to your reply.

Thanks,

Robert
TEXAS USA
So exactly how close is your neighbor to your property? You could be making false assumptions regarding what the camera can actually see and hear. Some cameras don't even have audio capture capability. Given that car thefts and break-ins are increasing on a daily basis in most areas of the country, residential security cameras are becoming the norm out of necessity.

Reaction score
Talk to your neighbor about it. Ask to see the views from those cams. I have a cam that is in my back yard that is higher than the fence between my yard and the back neighbor's yard. I have masked the view of his yard since I think it would be creepy to film their pool area.

Back Yard NW Corner 2022-05-22 02.46.28.569 PM.jpg

For audio recording, Texas says it is fine as long as one of those being recorded knows they are recording. Now you do not know FOR A FACT that he is recording audio. Ask him. Maybe the cams do not record audio, or he has that switched off.

Last edited:

duplo

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Yeah..

buying 25x PTZ from Empire and watching public streets with autotracking but complaining if beeing watched by others.

What if some old guy watching your windows with binoculars or telescope? Maybe he attached a camera on.

My old neighboor did that 24/7 and called the police if someone parked the wrong way. Cant do anything about it. Just sitting there and watching

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
My old neighboor did that 24/7 and called the police if someone parked the wrong way. Cant do anything about it. Just sitting there and watching
Oh, yeah......his equivalent here in the U.S. of A. was probably high school senior class president and star quarterback in 1970......hasn't achieved much since but excels as neighborhood snoop and busybody. :wtf::headbang:

Last edited:

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Live in a 55 or older community, you don't need cameras, all the old neighbors watch everything, they are the surveillance systems...LOL My brother's wife told me one day she had a day off of work and 2 neighbors in their 55 and older neighborhood came knocking on her door to check on her, haha. In away it is a good thing neighbors checking on neighbors but you have zero privacy...

CanCuba

Known around here
Reaction score
Yeah..

buying 25x PTZ from Empire and watching public streets with autotracking but complaining if beeing watched by others.

What if some old guy watching your windows with binoculars or telescope? Maybe he attached a camera on.

Apples and oranges. In a public street, one doesn't have the expectation of privacy.

duplo

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Apples and oranges. In a public street, one doesn't have the expectation of privacy.
So and your PTZ can only watch street and when zooming into windows a miracle privacy mask appears ?

One install PTZ , watching street, sees boobies when playing around, take manual control and zooms in.

Apple and oranges ?

Even worser when having kids and a pervert has a PTZ. What can you do ?

Like already said here. Fixed cam with 3.6/2.8mm cannot see much. Even varifocal is pointing to one direction, so you can see what area it records.

But PTZ with 25x zoom ?

Last edited: