Problem installing IPC-T54IR-ZE -- Default Port & IP?

Atlanta

n3wb
Reaction score
I just received the IPC-T54IR-ZE yesterday and would appreciate assistance installing it. My situation might be a little unique.

Our primary computer is Linux (Ubuntu) and is the only computer that accesses the web directly. Our only Windows computer (8.1) manages our NAS (Synology) and does not have web access.

I've installed several IP cams before but this is the first time I've tried to do so without a Windows box that could access the web.

- Adding the cam through Synology's Surveillance System was unsuccessful. This might be due to problems with Synology authentication without full internet access but I'm not certain.

- I installed Dahua's ConfigTool on the Windows PC but it also could not find the cam. Our home network is managed through a router (DD-WRT) and does not use the default LAN IP of 192.168.1.1. The ConfigTool allows setting a different IP but still does not find the cam. The Dahua cam is on the same LAN as the Windows PC.

At this point I think using the default settings might allow me to at least confirm a connection via VLC or a browser. I've found some info about the default settings online but that hasn't been successful yet so I wanted to confirm:
IP: 192.168.1.108 (does this automatically change if the router uses a different IP address?)
Port: 37777
User/PW: admin/admin

The camera seems to be getting power (PoE injector is 65W and already powering two small cameras). I'm using a short patch cable for testing.

I'll reach out to the vendor if necessary but wanted to ask here first. I'm also going to dig through the active local connections via the router but there are enough of them that it might take a while. Thanks for any assistance.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The camera does not come with a default user and password. You have to initialize the camera and assign it a password.

You have to change it off the default IP address, so if your subnet is different you need to change it in order to access the camera GUI.

From what I have read Synology hasn't added this model to their list of cameras.

Atlanta

n3wb
Reaction score
The camera does not come with a default user and password. You have to initialize the camera and assign it a password.

You have to change it off the default IP address, so if your subnet is different you need to change it in order to access the camera GUI.

From what I have read Synology hasn't added this model to their list of cameras.
Thank you -- I'll try changing the subnet and see if that does the trick.

Broachoski

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
^^^^^. I have never had to use the config tool as TheOtherMike stated, just point your browser to 192.168.1.108 and set it up. My home networks are different but I keep a throw down router set to 192.168.1.xxx that I connect to when setting up new cameras and when some resets are done.

Reaction score
I just received the IPC-T54IR-ZE yesterday and would appreciate assistance installing it. My situation might be a little unique.

Our primary computer is Linux (Ubuntu) and is the only computer that accesses the web directly. Our only Windows computer (8.1) manages our NAS (Synology) and does not have web access.

I've installed several IP cams before but this is the first time I've tried to do so without a Windows box that could access the web.

- Adding the cam through Synology's Surveillance System was unsuccessful. This might be due to problems with Synology authentication without full internet access but I'm not certain.

- I installed Dahua's ConfigTool on the Windows PC but it also could not find the cam. Our home network is managed through a router (DD-WRT) and does not use the default LAN IP of 192.168.1.1. The ConfigTool allows setting a different IP but still does not find the cam. The Dahua cam is on the same LAN as the Windows PC.

At this point I think using the default settings might allow me to at least confirm a connection via VLC or a browser. I've found some info about the default settings online but that hasn't been successful yet so I wanted to confirm:
IP: 192.168.1.108 (does this automatically change if the router uses a different IP address?)

The camera seems to be getting power (PoE injector is 65W and already powering two small cameras). I'm using a short patch cable for testing.

I'll reach out to the vendor if necessary but wanted to ask here first. I'm also going to dig through the active local connections via the router but there are enough of them that it might take a while. Thanks for any assistance.
Or, you could just give your Windows 8.1 computer a static IP like 192.168.1.110 and use a crossover network cable to connect directly to the cam from the PC's ethernet port. When you launch the browser on the PC, you should get the initial setup screen of the camera. At which point you can initialize the camera, login and password, and setup the Network portion to be the correct subnet as what the other cams are on.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Or, you could just give your Windows 8.1 computer a static IP like 192.168.1.110 and use a crossover network cable to connect directly to the cam from the PC's ethernet port. When you launch the browser on the PC, you should get the initial setup screen of the camera. At which point you can initialize the camera, login and password, and setup the Network portion to be the correct subnet as what the other cams are on.
Although a crossover cable would work, a standard straight-thru cable should work as well, crossover not necessary. The majority, if not all, Ethernet NIC's have been Auto MDI-X compliant for many years now. :cool:

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
This. Haven’t used a cross over cable since the late 90s!
You are right! This goes back to my 'early' years of networking.
Ah, the 80's and 90's.....where a man could spend hours troubleshooting a issue only because pins 2 and 3 for transmit and receive data were REVERSED on a DE-9 connector when compared to a DB-25....... :facepalm::lmao:

serial db25 vs db9.jpg

Reaction score
Ah, the 80's and 90s'.....where a man could spend hours troubleshooting a issue only because pins 2 and 3 for transmit and receive data were REVERSED on a DE-9 connector when compared to a DB-25....... :facepalm::lmao:

View attachment 195409
Makes you wonder why they did this. Spent many hours traveling and wiring up many facilities with RS-232 and Async terminals. Along with properly configuring HP DTC's on the Unix box. Truely, the good old days. Adding ethernet cards to the HP Unix box was a game changer, allowing us to use PC's remotely with Wyse 50 emulation software. Oh, and let's not forget the T1 and all the new switches and routers at each facility.

tech_junkie

Getting comfortable
Reaction score

What you have to do is plug the computer in a switch and plug the camera line into this switch, then assign the computer a static address in the 192.168.1 pool other than .1, .255, or the camera's dress :.108, (192.168.1.2 for example) In Unbuntu its best to use Angry IP scanner if its not 192.168.1.108, but you should get the firefox browser to go to login page at either port 80 (192.168.1.108) or port 3777 (192.168.1.108:3777)
Some routers will block traffic not in its network pool. Especially if it set up a certain way, so you have to configure it outside the network this way

Atlanta

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you to everybody for your help!

I went ahead and moved the subnet yesterday. After, Ubuntu had no problem accessing the camera w/ Firefox and I took care of the basic setup. I should be able to install the camera outside later today. Unfortunately, Windows & Synology did not handle the router change as easily but I'll deal with that later.

Thanks again.