Problem with RJ45 connectors

ctgoldwing

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I am certainly no expert in 'rolling my own' cat 5/6 cables but I have done my share over the last several months. Today I was installing a new Dahua next to my hummingbird feeder and had to make 2 cables - one from camera to switch, the other from switch to main switch. They seemed to go together fine - I even tried the tip from another thread about running the wires over a round shank of a screwdriver. That seemed to work well!

When I was done I did a quick check with my cable tester and all looked good. However when I plugged one into the camera's molded connector there was no solid click and no matter how hard I pushed it in it seemed to not engage. . . The other 3 connectors mated well with their sockets. Am I missing something?

jmhmcse

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
sometimes the 'release' tab gets compressed and sets too low for it to engage. ever so gently pry the tab up slightly so it is higher from the body.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
One time when I bungled a cable end I learned you have to look at both ends of the simple cable testers. I had previously though both ends would give the same result, but found out the hard way that that one end can say the cable is ok while the other end says otherwise.