Problems adding TP-Link Tapo C200 to BI 4

itm

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have a TP-Link Tapo C200 cam which is onvif compliant (including PTX). I've created a username and password for the cam using the Tapo app, and can access the live video stream using Onvif Device Manager. When I add the camera to BI, entering the user id and password and using the "inspect now" option, I get this:
Code:
Opening port 80...
HTTP request...
Failed with HTTP 12029
Opening port 8999...
GetCapabilities...
No response
Checking for common cameras...
Foscam FI86xx/98xx compatible?
Foscam FI89xx compatible?
Foscam FI9821 V2 compatible?
Foscam FI9821 media port compatible?
RTSP port open?
RTSP port detected!
Done
...but I get no video stream - just: "RTSP: 404 Stream Not Found"

The following URL works fine in VLC:
Code:
rtsp:/myuser:mypassword@192.168.1.27:554/stream1
I've tried putting "/stream1" in the Path in BI, but I still can't get the stream.

Any ideas for why I can't get the video stream in BI? Since I'd also like to use the PTZ features (which are available when I access the camera in Onvif Device Manager), how can I get basic ONVIF access to this camera in BI?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Please post a screenshot of the BI 4's "camera settings => "Video" tab you've tried.
Because my BI 5's corresponding page is likely very different, I'll attempt to modify yours with a couple of suggestions for you to try.

itm

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Here's my video config page:
BI_C200.jpg

I also tried putting port 2020 into all 3 port fields, and when I clicked "Inspect now" I got this - which seems to confirm onvif and PTZ services, but I still get no video stream:
Code:
Opening port 2020...
HTTP request...
OK
GetCapabilities...
Response!
requesting device information
has Media services: /onvif/service
has RTP/RTSP, requesting profiles
has PTZ services
Opening port 2020...
GetCapabilities...
Response!
requesting device information
has Media services: /onvif/service
has RTP/RTSP, requesting profiles
has PTZ services
Checking for common cameras...
Foscam FI86xx/98xx compatible?
Foscam FI89xx compatible?
Foscam FI9821 V2 compatible?
Foscam FI9821 media port compatible?
RTSP port open?
RTSP port detected!
Done

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The 1st image is what I was expecting.
I don't recall, does BI 4 have a "Generic/ONVIF" menu dropdown for "Make/Model"?

Can you log into the cam's webGUI and enable RTSP and/or ONVIF?

itm

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The 1st image is what I was expecting.
I don't recall, does BI 4 have a "Generic/ONVIF" menu dropdown for "Make/Model"?

Can you log into the cam's webGUI and enable RTSP and/or ONVIF?
No, I was hoping to see "Generic/ONVIF" in the dropdown list but it isn't there.
The camera doesn't seem to have a web GUI either

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
In the above image, under "NVT" lower left, click on "Live Video".
Does the RSTP URL show up at the bottom, below a live image?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
From BI's "Help", under "Video Settings" => "Advanced Options":

"The RTP/UDP option is for certain RTSP streaming connections. If your camera is not
producing a stream in Blue Iris, yet works with the VLC software using the same RTSP
video path, there’s a chance that VLC is using RTP/UDP. Blue Iris does not use this by​
default as it’s less reliable and requires the use of multiple ports for streaming. With this​
option you will need to specify a port number, however 4 ports are actually used, so this​
number must be evenly divisible by 4."​

On your first image, lower right "Network Options", check the box for "Use RTP/UDP ports" and click on "OK" (I have no idea what those ports wpould be, start with the default that's grayed out, "7000", I guess.)

itm

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
From BI's "Help", under "Video Settings" => "Advanced Options":

"The RTP/UDP option is for certain RTSP streaming connections. If your camera is not
producing a stream in Blue Iris, yet works with the VLC software using the same RTSP
video path, there’s a chance that VLC is using RTP/UDP. Blue Iris does not use this by​
default as it’s less reliable and requires the use of multiple ports for streaming. With this​
option you will need to specify a port number, however 4 ports are actually used, so this​
number must be evenly divisible by 4."​

On your first image, lower right "Network Options", check the box for "Use RTP/UDP ports" and click on "OK" (I have no idea what those ports would be, start with the default that's grayed out, "7000", I guess.)
Thanks for the suggestion. I checked the "Use RTP/UDP ports" option, leaving the port number to the default of 7000, but I still get no video stream. I also tried a port number of 2020 instead of 7000, and that didn't help either.

itm

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
My last idea...try the free Fing on your desktop or phone, get the cam and the phone on the same LAN /WLAN, run Fing and then perform a port scan to see if something other than ports 80 and 554 show up.
<fingers crossed>
Thanks. So Fing detects the following ports open on the camera:
443 - https
554 - rtsp
1024 - kdm
2020 - xinupageserver

I tried using 1024 as the RTP/UDP port number, but still no stream. It seems that I'm not the only one with this problem:

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Maybe, just maybe v5 can help: after you make the selection "Generic/ONVIF", there's a selection available that v4 does not have...it's "VLC-compatible RTSP".
Even the person in the TP-Link community forum was trying v4 .

Time to upgrade?
v5 has so many great, new features and abilities. :headbang:
Do you know of anyone close by you that has v5 so you can at least take your cam over there and give it a try?

itm

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I just downloaded the v5 demo, even though I didn't see anything on the new feature list that was of any interest to me. When I tried to run it in demo mode it asked me for a user id. I tried the usual admin/admin plus Windows user accounts, but it didn't accept anything. Following a tip on another forum I found a registry hack to work around this, but now it loads and tells me that my evaluation period has expired (even though I only downloaded and installed it in the last half hour).
And just for good measure it has also broken the web ui on my v4 installation. V4 still starts up, but when I try to access it from the LAN I get "access denied - you don't have authorisation to view this page" - even though I have authorisation set to non-LAN only.
????!

itm

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I just downloaded the v5 demo, even though I didn't see anything on the new feature list that was of any interest to me. When I tried to run it in demo mode it asked me for a user id. I tried the usual admin/admin plus Windows user accounts, but it didn't accept anything. Following a tip on another forum I found a registry hack to work around this, but now it loads and tells me that my evaluation period has expired (even though I only downloaded and installed it in the last half hour).
And just for good measure it has also broken the web ui on my v4 installation. V4 still starts up, but when I try to access it from the LAN I get "access denied - you don't have authorisation to view this page" - even though I have authorisation set to non-LAN only.
????!
...OK I managed to fix the v4 web UI - the v5 install changed the www root folder setting in my v4 setup to point to a folder in the v5 setup. I've changed it back and I have my v4 web UI back. I've also uninstalled the v5 demo as I'm concerned that it's making changes to my v4 setup.

itm

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So I guess this is a "NO"?

Not even the "VLC-compatible RTSP" selection?
No, I don't know anyone else that has BI.

The "VLC-compatible RTSP" would be the only reason to upgrade. Not sure it's worth it though - it would be cheaper to return the Tapo camera to Amazon and buy something else that's compatible with BI v4.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Then go with the Amcrest IP2M-841

FWIW, I've installed 4 of the V2 versions, 1 of the latest V3 version and 3 of it's lower-res HD (720p) cousins in the last 4 years and all have functioned with no hiccups.

I currently use 3 of them with Blue Iris; 1 on front porch to look at deliveries, 1 in garage and 1 in sunroom to watch the dogs; two of the 3 is operating on Wi-Fi. I have also set one up with Tinycam Pro on a Sony smart TV (Android).

The one on the front porch is on a plant stand against the house, out of direct sun and rain...it's been through three 90 degree summers and as many 25 degree winters without a hitch.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.