Problems connecting to Blue Iris from WAN

oli847

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi Guys

I have resolved this problem myself, but thought it might be good to share with everyone in case anyone else has a similar problem in future. I set up an evaluation copy of BI a couple of days ago, and it worked great, from LAN and WAN. Then last night I had a small power interuption at home (faulty slow cooker blew the circuit breaker). Everything seemed to be OK until today when I was out at work, and continued to receive alerts, but couldn't connect to BI from the WAN on my phone.

The error was "The remote server returned an error: (401) Unauthorized."

First thought was that during the power outage the server had picked up a different IP as I'd forgotten to set a static, but that wasn't the problem. Then checked all the things mentioned in various threads until I came across a comment from Fenderman about uPnP on the router. I'd set up my port forwarding manually, but I gave it a look anyway, and low and behold, turning uPnP off and on again on the router resolved the issue.

Anyway, thanks all, hopefully this will save someone some time in the future.

awahl101

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
time for a small ups

Sent from my SM-J727P using Tapatalk

oli847

n3wb
Reaction score
indeed, as it happens I had already arranged to collect a small tabletop UPS today before this even happened!

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I'd set up my port forwarding manually, but I gave it a look anyway, and low and behold, turning uPnP off and on again on the router resolved the issue. Anyway, thanks all,
Since you have already done the port forwarding manually, you should not need nor have uPnP 'enabled' or 'on' in the router or in the cameras, mainly for security reasons.

Ideally, a VPN is highly recommended.