Problems with 4MP camera

LeonB

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi all!

I've been setting up a camera system that has been going smoothly until I got to my two 4mp HiLook IPC-B149HA cameras.
They're connected to 95 meters of Cat6 Solid cable with the the T568B standard crimping.

I've used a cable tester to ensure the cables were crimped correctly and set up a 2MP camera there to make sure it's not the cable, which lucky me, is not the problem. I have also used a short cable connected to my DS-7600 Hik NVR and the 4MP works fine that way.
I also used my cable tester to ensure enough power was coming to the end of the cable.

My only thought now, is that there is some settings that need altering in order to get it work. As of now I have yet to find said setting or combination there of.

If you have any ideas please let me know.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You are pushing the theoretical distance limits of POE and I suspect this camera needs just a little more juice than the 2MP you tried.

We have had MANY people here after running cable and the tester shows it is fine but doesn't work.

The consumer grade testers only test continuity. Unless you are using a true Fluke tester (that costs thousands of dollars LOL), the cheap testers simply measure continuity but not be sufficient for POE loading. Especially if it is CCA wiring.

I suspect you need to add a midspan injector.

LeonB

n3wb
Reaction score
You are pushing the theoretical distance limits of POE and I suspect this camera needs just a little more juice than the 2MP you tried.

We have had MANY people here after running cable and the tester shows it is fine but doesn't work.

The consumer grade testers only test continuity. Unless you are using a true Fluke tester (that costs thousands of dollars LOL), the cheap testers simply measure continuity but not be sufficient for POE loading. Especially if it is CCA wiring.

I suspect you need to add a midspan injector.
I had the same suspicions but according to the spec sheets of the both the 2mp and 4mp cameras the power requirements are pretty much the same.

What bothers me aswell is that the yellow and green port lights on the NVR come on, albeit static instead of flickery like the others, and the NVR shows that a similar wattage to the 2mp is being drawn by that port.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
We have seen instances where two identical camera models were purchased same time and were installed on garage basically with the same field of view and one camera was pulling 3 watts more than the other.

But these are electronic devices and maybe the 2mp camera can get by with being starved a bit of power and the 4MP cannot.

It is a distance problem you are experiencing.

MTL4

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I agree, likely a voltage drop issue when loaded, try a poe+ injector on that line specifically and see if it doesn’t work. If it does then you now know how to solve your issue.