Profile settings lost after BI 5 upgrade

its

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Did the upgrade as per Blue Iris 4 to 5 Migration Guide

But all the profiles are lost. New ones are Active and Work Hours. Maybe other settings are lost as well - I am not sure yet. Don't really want to recreate everything from scratch.

How can we fix this? Have the old backup as per the guide.

netmax

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
After the update to BI5 all seemed to work well until I discovered that some zone definitions were lost. More sever, all cam's were set back to "non High Definition" and all detections to "Simple" (instead of "Gaussian") detection. I can't change this, when I save the setting and go back to the camera configuration it's set back again.

That seems not ready for release yet ... restoring my snapshot I made before upgrade.

Reaction score
The problem with HD and gaussian I have, too. In the registry they aren't reflected, also, but other settings are saved. I thought I messed something up with my installation, but as I am not alone it may be a little flaw.

netmax

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Unfortunately the flaw is more serious to me ... I've emailed Ken and I'm back to V4 for now.

Reaction score
Lucky me that for now non-HD and simple-algorithm are OK for me. I expected some problem when I upgrade this early, though. But I couldn't wait any longer, took me enough self-control to not upgrade to the unofficial V5...

SkyLake

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Same here.. Lost zones and profiles. Camera settings not staying at the saved setting (Gaussian algorithm, and HD for the zones)

Tried to go back to BI4, but that would not start anymore after importing the manually exported (BI4) backup reg file, that i saved before installing BI5.

Uninstalled BI4 and BI5, cleaned the registry, installed BI4 again, imported backup file, and again BI won't start...

Now going for a complete reinstall of my system :facepalm:

MachAF

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Same here.. Lost zones and profiles. Camera settings not staying at the saved setting (Gaussian algorithm, and HD for the zones)

Tried to go back to BI4, but that would not start anymore after importing the manually exported (BI4) backup reg file, that i saved before installing BI5.

Uninstalled BI4 and BI5, cleaned the registry, installed BI4 again, imported backup file, and again BI won't start...

I just went through that fiasco..

Don't import the backup file through BlueIris. Go into Reg Edit and import through there. You may also need to delete a "blue Iris Import" registry entry. There is some bug with importing through blue iris.

SkyLake

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Yeah, i noticed that there would be a bug in there :D There is one key in the registry, that won't let you delete it the normal way (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Perspective Software\Blue Iris\a1)

Had to manually override and set permissions to get rid of it (even as administrator)

Ah well, it keeps us busy at least :D :D

its

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

I have exact same issues as you have. Luckily windows had made a system restore point. I have also rolled back to v4 and emailed Ken

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Ugh.. I just hosed my system trying to update to 5...

I'm having exactly the same issue. How did you 'clean' your registry? I completely uninstalled both v4 and v5 (including key and registry settings) but v4 won't open (though it does show up as a process in the task manager).

Edited to add: SOLVED! After uninstalling both V4 and V5 completely, I went to the registry and deleted everything with either blueiris or perspective in the key. As @SkyLake pointed out, one registry key won't allow you to delete it until you manually add 'full control' to the administrator account (right click on the key, permissions, check full control for admin). Once all keys were gone, I rebooted, then reinstalled V4. I entered my key, and came up with a blank slate. I then imported the backup made just before attempting the v5 and ALL IS WELL!!! WHEW thank you for suggesting the registry scrubbing.

Last edited:

Vini

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Unfortunately the flaw is more serious to me ... I've emailed Ken and I'm back to V4 for now.
Chalk me up as another user with Zone/Gaussian/HD issues.

Reading around, this seems common, and completely broken if you ask me. There's "a few" people discussing this, which means most people don't use/understand this, or simply aren't bothered. Based on the testing I have performed, I am almost certain this cannot be working for anybody, and I am currently in the process of rolling back to v4.

In order to try and rectify the Algorithm/Black&White/Shadows/Hidef issue, I've tried (all with 64bit version);

- Completely owning the registry items under /Motion/ - no luck, registry doesn't get updated.
- Marking the /Motion/ reg key as Read Only and manually setting 'algorithm' and 'hidef' keys to 1 from 0 - no luck.
- Adding 'algorithm' and 'hidef' keys to individual Profile keys within the registry - no luck.
- Uninstalling BI5 (removing the broken record in Add/Remove Programs - grr) and nuking the Registry of all things Perspective (including User Hive).
- Reinstalling BI5 as SYSTEM using PsExec
- Running BI5 as SYSTEM using PsExec
- Running BI5 as a Service, not as a Service
- And a few other things...

I did not try the 32bit version. That may work, it could be that the reg keys are not writing to the correct location.

I suspect some permission issue in the application itself, most likely ONLY fixable by a new release.

With it being this late on a Sunday and work beckoning, I'm rolling back. I'll P2V my machine once restored, and will check everything in a Virtual environment before venturing down the BI5 path again.

netmax

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Unfortunately still no reaction to my support email ... just to update you.
As I'm on a business trip soon I think I'll retry the BI5 in three weeks, I can't properly test remote and I won't upset my people at home.

netmax

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Update: Ken replied and apologized for the bug. It should be fixed in version .45 now according to his response.

Vini

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Update: Ken replied and apologized for the bug. It should be fixed in version .45 now according to his response.
Be the man, let us know how you get on :p :) :D