programming presets/tours/other nonsense on PTZs

jkajfes

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
managed to get my Imporx mounted at the front of the house and wired up. Now we're into the programming stage and I could use some guidance or help. The software that came with the unit I can describe with a single word.... sucks! This includes the manuals. I tried googling the topic and even trying to find some you tube videos on programming PTZs but I haven't found anything that seems helpful to me.

Putting a PTZ where I did could have been easily handled with a couple of fixed camera but I wanted to play around with a PTZ to try and get to understand them and how they work.

Basically I'm covering off a narrow area at the front of my townhouse. On one side (left) I've got my garage wall extending outwards from the front and on the right I've got a neighbours wall extending outwards. It's sort of like covering an alleyway. from front porch to small wooden deck, then part of driveway on left, very small lawn on right out to 20 feet then sidewalk, boulevard and street. Facing south so as sun comes around it hit's the lens a little but nothing major.

There's a menu inside the camera where you can do the programming but I find going in and out of each area a bit confusing and the steps seems pretty involved and then I forget how it all works and end up restarting over...

Is there some type of software other than the camera menu that can be used to program? The camera is ONVIF compatible.

I just want to experiment. The area I'm covering wouldn't required complicated preset, tours. The unit is capable of auto motion tracking which is why I bought it... to follow someone from the walkway to the front of the house and potentially back out.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Never seen anyone here with an Imporx PTZ, they seem to be extremely an obscure brand.. good luck, I couldn't find anything for you either.

My PTZ setting that stuff up is a piece of cake, no manual needed as its all pretty damn obvious through a web browser.. but my brand (Dahua FYI) also makes Auto-Tracking PTZ's and the configuration for auto-tracking is massively complex, I fear if you cannot teach your self how to setup basic presets/tours/etc your going to have a hell of a time getting AutoTracking working worth a damn.

In this industry there is alot of good hardware out there between various brands, but what distinguishes the better IPCams from the weaker ones is the software.. Ive only seen one Chinese brand with really good software all around (firmware, workstations, mobiles, tablets), and that was Dahua and the primary reason why I invested in there brand.

jkajfes

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply nayr, I had a feeling that there wasn't going to be an easy solution to programming the unit... I can get it to auto track, it's actually not that difficult to get it to lock on and follow something. It's getting through the multi-layered menus and structuring it to do a number of things.

Does the Dahua software recognize other brands of camera's or only Dahua? I'm being to wonder what the heck the ONVIF standard actually is...

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
no the dahua software only works with dahua's... the ONVIF standard is pretty minimal protocol, more for discovering the camera's stream and commands for basic control.. It does little more than auto populating configuration options (stream path/ports/ptz url's) on NVR and streaming software that without the standard you could simply input manually... Configuring special features and stuff is typically done directly.

Thats awesome the autotracking works without a ton of configuration, there's not alot of cameras out there with that feature so once you figure out how to dial this camera in please do a review here and show us some sample clips..