Proper Wiring Ubiquiti NanoStation NSM5 - Help Please

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
TonyR, How do I do that? I do know the camera's IP address through the WebGUI if that helps.
Your post #30 shows screenshots of the embedded webGUI's so you've already done it:
  1. Open a browser
  2. Put in the IP address in the URL (where the "www.somesite.com" goes).
  3. Hit <ENTER>
If the webGUI opens then it means you're hitting that radio; if it times out ("404 NOT FOUND") then you're not.
If you hit the station/bridge then it's likely there is nothing wrong with the wireless link; check between the station/bridge's LAN port and the remote device.

rocky500

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Redfive & Flintstone61: Thank you for your replies, I have the Nano's paired and installed. I'm using WPA2-AES for security, I have the SSID and password working and I made their IP static and changed it to one that would not cause a conflict. The problem I have is my NVR (NVR5216-16P-I) does not recognize the nano that's plugged directly into the NVR. Below are my settings, any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

View attachment 85421
I went through my setup and is a match to yours except one thing.
I also put the "Primary DNS IP:" (same as Gateway IP:)
You could try that to see if it helps?
In yours you would put 192.168.1.1

Here is mine

Attachments

Captain_B

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Rocky500, I tried that but still no joy. I do notice that now and then I do see a blue "e" but when I try to log into the PTZ its never brings up a log-in screen or when I go to live view I cannot connect to the PTZ and then when I go back and look at the camera list the PTZ is greyed out. Appreciate any suggestions on what to try.

On another note, I'm looking at adding another camera at the PTZ Nano Station location and was wondering how to go about powering (PoE) the 5241E-Z12E at the Nano Station location and then how to separate the two different camera streams (PTZ & 5241) up here at the Nano Access Point so I can plug them into the NVR separately? Any suggestions anyone?

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
To answer your question... I think you need a switch to input both camera feeds to the Nano's. they will arrive at your BI machine seperately as they would have to be on diff IP addresses.
It might be worth it....to look at the setting in a box of pre-paired (Nano's Station and Access Point) just so you have a frame of reference. Then you can compare your Problem child Ubiquiti's as far as settings are concerned.

Yeah, I know a little about IP addressing, and a little about the physical components, and Yeah I could have set up NON-paired stations. But I have a load of other work im expected to perform on site. So I'm happy with my choice. I Wish i'd have gotten the model that has the 2 rj-45 jacks in the bottom so I could theoretically just plug n play an IP cam. but I got what I got...

Last edited:

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
The simple answer is a switch on each end. Cameras to the switch, switch to the Nano at the far end. Nano to the switch, PC to the switch, switch to the NVR "network" port. I believe the number of total cameras limitation still applies to the NVR

Captain_B

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I do not run BI since I am going directly into the Dahua 5216-16P-I NVR......maybe that would be a better solution than using an NVR if I can get the Nano-Station connected. The Nano was working great until I turned off the NVR for a short period but now it will not reconnect. Do I need a computer between a PoE switch and the NVR or can I just use a router to complete the task between the Nano Access Point and the NVR?

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I said computer assuming, and we know what that does, that you were either running BI or wanted to get to the camera GUI directly rather than through the NVR browser. If you aren't doing either one of those things, then the switch supporting the Nano and PC is not needed.

I would suggest plugging the Nano in to a switch with a PC attached so you can have a look at its' IP address.

Captain_B

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I was able to spend some time troubleshooting the Nano Stations and so far no joy. I brought the Nano Station up here with the Nano Access Point so I can work through the issues quickly. What I found is I can use the Nano Access Point to send the Internet to the Nano Station and with my computer connected to the Nano Station all is good. I can do a factory reset of the test camera and its IP goes to 192.168.1.108, I then disconnect the Internet connection to the NVR, and I and use the computer and go to 192.168.1.108 and I can go directly to the camera's WebGUI and view the camera. Don't ask me why but I have tried changing the camera's IP using the IP Config tool and no matter how many things I try I always get a "Password Error" message.

I then factory reset the camera, connect it to the NVR and the NVR does not recognize the camera. I can connect the camera directly to the NVR and it connects immediately. I've tried letting the NVR give the camera its new IP (10.1.1.79) and then connecting the camera back to the Nano Station and still no connection. I have power cycled the Nano's, camera multiple times, and sequences but still no joy. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
I wonder if the Static IP box should be ticked on with the assigning address given by the NVR? If you let the nvr assign the address, maybe write that address down. If you can get to the cameras web page interface how ever you can. And assign that?

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
My nanos are doing a slightly different task. One is connected to an Amcrest dvr with a static IP of 192.168.1.207 at the Access point, and the other one is the “Station” I believe. Station is going to the switch. PC with Blue Iris is 192.168.1.100 static to the switch. My Tp link USB wifi device gives me a second network address of 72.x.x.x with DNS servers assigned by whoever’s modem I’m getting the xfinity public wifi signal from. Its kind of a weak signal, like Dial up download speeds.

Captain_B

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I've double-checked everything and I am down to the Nano Station and Nano Access Point are working perfectly and when I log in to each of them via my router, it's beautiful, but when I connect to the NVR I get no blue "e". I'm lost as to why, maybe a big hammer hitting the NVR would help, I have plenty of BFHs.

Captain_B

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
The Nano Access Point is connected directly to the NVR channel 15 RJ45 port. I have tried connecting the Nano Access Point to the same router the NVR is connected to but the NVR still does not see the camera.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm thinkin the NVR's internal Ip addresses assigned to camera's are not accessible to a browser. if the NVR assigns a 10.x.x.x address to a camera, but has a 192.x.x.x external address at your router/switch then I think you can't get there from a Browser. I'm thinkin you may only be able to adjust the settings offered in the NVR user interface.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm not an NVR user, but from what I've gathered by reading a number of NVR threads I think the Nano needs to be plugged in to the "network" connection of the NVR rather than a port for a camera. Then there's some configuration in the NVR to "find" the camera. The normal situation would be to have a small switch, 4 port, that attaches to the network port of the NVR. Then the Nano and PC would also be connected to that switch. That switch would also connect to your router so the PC can access the internet and the rest of your local network.

Captain_B

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Flintstone61 & Sebastiantombs thank you for sticking with me and opening my mind to a different avenue on troubleshooting and you were correct, the Nano needs put into a Network at the Access Point. I did a hard reset on the test camera and the default is 192.168.1.108, same as the NVR, and by disconnecting the NVR I could access the Test Camera and go into the Camera's WebGUI I was able to change its IP address 192.168.1.xx and then plugged it into the same router the NVR is connected to. I then reconnected the NVR back into that router, I then put the test camera's IP into the search box in the NVR/Camera WebGUI page and it found it, clicked "add" and we were in business. I then took and reinstalled the Nano Station back at the PTZ location and then climbed the ladder and did a hard factory reset of the PTZ and by unhooking the NVR from the router at the Nano Access Point I was able to go into the PTZ's WedGUI from the Nano Access Point and change it's IP Address to a new one at 192.168.1.xx and then reconnected the NVR and BAM were back in business.

Thank you again to both of you and all the others that helped me work through my issues and get this thing working. My next adventure, connecting another camera or two down at the Nano Station where the PTZ is and selecting the correct PoE switch that can manage two 5241E-Z12E and the PTZ, any advice would be appreciated.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
To be honest, that was a shot in the dark but it seemed "logical" to me since the output of the Nano is basically a network connection, with a different IP, rather than being a duplicate IP of the device(s) connected to it over the link. I have two cameras running on a Nano link and that link has to be plugged into a router for me to be able to see the cameras.

Last edited: