Properly grounding shielded cat 6 cable

ipslascam

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have a current ip camera setup with cat 5e in my attic that is suffering from a lot of EMF interference, as it runs alongside power cables. I plan to replace these runs (there are no other location options) with shielded (S/UTP) cat 6 cable. I'm not sure how/where to ground the cable though. I don't have a patch panel - all of the cable runs are across my attic to cameras and down into a central closet where I have a PoE switch. My switch has a grounding tab, but I'm guessing its power brick is not grounded. Any pointers on how to do this would be appreciated.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
First off, make sure the current cables are properly terminated. Are they terminated with the 568b standard?
How did you determine you are getting EMI?

If you pull new cables, use the Rj45 cat 6 passthrough connectors from Truecable.
Only use the Shielded connectors on the switch end. Not the camera end. Use unshielded Cat 6 RJ45's. Or you can use the shielded Rj45's, just don't connect the shield on that end to the Rj45.

Assuming the switch has shielded female Rj45's, Properly ground the Switch with the grounding lug to your home's electrical system ground.

Now when you plug in the shielded Rj45's, into the switch, all is well.
Be sure to install the shielded Rj45's correctly so as to make a good connection to the cable shield.
See the Truecables site for how to videos,

ipslascam

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks for the response!

First off, make sure the current cables are properly terminated. Are they terminated with the 568b standard?
How did you determine you are getting EMI?
Yep, the first thing I did was double check termination, redo it several times just to be sure, etc. I also used a network cable tester to confirm correctness. Data speeds are just very low when using PCs to test. There's no easy way for me to confirm EMI, but I do know for sure that the ethernet cables run near and sometimes parallel to power cables in the attic since there is no other option, so EMI is my best guess at this point.

Assuming the switch has shielded female Rj45's, Properly ground the Switch with the grounding lug to your home's electrical system ground.
Is there a way to tell if the switch has shielded Rj45s? Can I tie the switch's grounding lug into the ground of a nearby outlet?

Smilingreen

Known around here
Reaction score
Check your switches cut sheet to determine the gauge of grounding wire they recommend or require. Some of the hardened industrial switches we build into control panels require a separate PE ground of #12 or larger, directly to earth.

Last edited: