protect outdoor cable connections with silicon tape

marklyn

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I recently came across a tip buried in a forum thread that I wanted to share. I'm sure some people know about it but I felt it deserved it's own thread.
I've always had a problem waterproofing outdoor network cable connections until I recently discovered silicon tape.
This stuff is golden! It can be found a hardware stores like Lowes or Home Depot. Costs around $6 for a 10' roll.
It's basically 10' of very pliable tacky tape that you use to tape up your outdoor network connections or ends that you don't want water in.
It conforms to the various uneven surfaces of a network cable connection and provides a very good seal.
I highly recommend it!

Stretch and Seal self sealing silicone tape:
Home Depot link: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Nashua-Tape-1-in-x-3-33-yd-Stretch-and-Seal-Self-Fusing-Silicone-Tape-in-Clear-1210364/203534911

Last edited by a moderator:

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
So what's the name of it or a link? There is no such thing that comes up as "silicon tape"

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Over here it's called 'self amalgamating tape', commonly use to seal over coax connectors on sat dish LNBs and other outdoor low-voltage cabling.

spencnor

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Over here it's called 'self amalgamating tape', commonly use to seal over coax connectors on sat dish LNBs and other outdoor low-voltage cabling.
In the electrical industry a popular manufacturer of this tape is 3M, rubber splicing tape #23.

JMartin

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Found this at my local Harbor Freight for less than $5.00:

IMG_20160427_061509087.jpg

I'm going to seal my connectors before putting them in their junction boxes anyway.
Haven't opened the stuff to see how it feels... it claims to not be sticky, but it "adheres to itself."
We'll see this weekend.

stoney7713

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Found this at my local Harbor Freight for less than $5.00:

View attachment 10276

I'm going to seal my connectors before putting them in their junction boxes anyway.
Haven't opened the stuff to see how it feels... it claims to not be sticky, but it "adheres to itself."
We'll see this weekend.
There's a few different types.

The non sticky stuff tends to be live rubber tape and have a backing you peel off before using. It's best to stretch it first before applying. Rubber sticks to rubber really well.

There's a also a silicone rubber tape that has a backing, it is slightly sticky and has a solvent in it that fuses the tape together.

Personally I like live rubber, it doesn't leave a tackiness if you ever remove it from a connection.

Either way it's best to put a final layer of good electrical tape on top of it for extra protection from the elements.